Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: First time using a Sterimatic Injector  (Read 8392 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
First time using a Sterimatic Injector
« on: February 05, 2016, 11:11:38 am »
After reading how nasty an accidental self-injection of Footvax can be, I bought one of these Molecare Sterimatic Injectors (made by Simcro).

And here's how it went (warts 'n' all):

• Assembly was straightforward. The needle tightens with a twist, which the instructions don't tell you.
  • The bottle can be turned around on the gun to keep it pointing properly bottom upwards.
  • I sterilized everything using Milton disinfectant (once again, the instructions don't give any detail on this)
  • The gun is adjustable in 0.2ml jumps, up to a maximum of 2ml
  • To prime it with the Milton, I had to set it to 2ml, or it wouldn't suck properly.... more on that later  :-[
  • I left it with the disinfectant in for 15 mins, then attached the Footvax and purged through.
  • To attach the bottle, you have to slide it into the screw cap thing sideways, then stick it onto the spike and screw tight.
  • Operation was simple enough, and SO much safer than a regular syringe (for me, not the sheep). Just make a 'tent' of skin with left hand, then place the head of the sterimatic at the base of the tent, push to insert the needle, squeeze to inject, then withdraw.
  • This is a bit strange to begin with, in that you don't suck out at all to check you're not getting air or blood in. However, in theory, as long as there's no vaccine on the wool or in the body of the sterimatic, it should have gone where it was meant to!
  • However, after doing several, I realized that there was a bubble in the body of the gun, and it had lost its prime somewhere along the way  >:( . Because I wasn't used to the gun yet, I couldn't tell from the feel of it that it had only been squirting air. This had probably been caused by me withdrawing the gun with the bottle pointing the wrong way (it re-loads when you release the trigger).
  • Since the instructions for footvax say that a double dose is unlikely to kill them (it will just give them boils the size of a small car), I went back and re-dosed the doubtful ones. I'll let you know later if they all die  :-[ .
So, overall impressions?  MUCH safer to use than a regular syringe. Also quicker and easier to keep clean and sterile. Also if a sheep jumped when the needle went in, it was easy for me to know that I hadn't injected it with anything, and to then try again. More hassle to clean / disinfect before and after of course. Anyway, the big lesson is ALWAYS check that the barrel is still full / primed in between each injection.

If anybody else has some good tips, do share.

So, I hope that's useful to somebody. Please don't flame me though - I'm only learning!  :-[
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: First time using a Sterimatic Injector
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 11:40:21 am »
Two tips from me ....

1. Don't use milton - you will ruin any metal parts.  You should just boil the injector and needles for 10-20 mins.  There is a video here: https://youtu.be/t93RD-JkQwA.  Hanging it in a big pot will prevent any plastic bits coming in contact with the hot pan and deforming.

2. The white sterimatic cap - you twist off one side, but you will see on the other there is still a thin plastic layer.  The needle will go through this with ease but to prolong the life of the needle and prevent the needle going wonky (which it can), I use a teeny knife to cut a hole through this thin plastic layer.  That way the needle just goes through the sponge inside and not through any plastic.  Also note, the cap is not designed to be used with disposable needles as they aren't as strong, but by cutting away the plastic like this you can if you need to :).

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 11:57:18 am »
Good tips, thanks Foobar!  :thumbsup:

I used Milton because the instructions said "Use a cold water sterilant only", and frankly that's what I had available. It does all seem a little Heath Robinson though, so I'd love to hear what other people do. Do you all use boiling?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 12:10:20 pm »
Interesting that the instructions said that.  Maybe your injector doesn't have any exposed metal parts?  I sterilised my whisk once in Milton with the rest of my bottle feeding equipment ... and it made it rust (even with rinsing) ... only then did I read the label on the Milton bottle! Doh!

What other (safe) cold water sterilants are there I wonder?  Boiling is a PITA!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 12:15:58 pm »
I bought a similar (maybe the same) thing last year - best thing I ever bought. We'll be Heptavac'ing at the weekend.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 05:45:55 pm »
I have a similar one and use it on the sheep and the pigs. The stericap is probably my fave bit about it. It does make life easier for all vacs though.

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 07:33:53 pm »
Yes, I went over to the same model this year, having previously used the version with the tube, and it's a lot less faff.  However, I also noted the issue with the priming.  When the bottle comes nearly empty, look to see if the bottle spike is above or below the level of liquid level.  Are you withdrawing with the trigger still squeezed to check it's charging?

http://www.youtube.com/embed/TGJY6KtDeQY?autoplay=1&version=3&rel=0, part of a series at https://www.youtube.com/user/sterimatic/videos

« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 08:16:57 pm by Badger Nadgers »

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 08:57:25 pm »
Thumbs up from me for them too! Used mine for Hep P and Footvax :)

Only thing I've found is that it was quite hard to source new needles when you want them - eventually ended up on ebay where I got 12 for £8

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 09:08:12 pm »
Are the needles re-usable then?

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2016, 07:44:10 am »
Only thing I've found is that it was quite hard to source new needles when you want them - eventually ended up on ebay where I got 12 for £8

BATA have them on the shelf, is there a branch near you?

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2016, 08:47:59 am »
https://www.sterimaticworldwide.co.uk/cart.php?target=product&product_id=27&category_id=16

£10 for 20 (incl postage).  They do 18g, 20g and 16g.  You can also get the caps and other sets.

Badger Nadgers

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Derbyshire/North Staffs
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2016, 07:45:53 pm »
I buy the starter pack once in a while - 5 caps, 5 needles, 1 sleeve:

http://www.molevalleyfarmers.com/mvf/store/products/molecare-sterimatic-starter-kit

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 10:30:19 am »
After reading how nasty an accidental self-injection of Footvax can be, I bought one of these Molecare Sterimatic Injectors (made by Simcro).

And here's how it went (warts 'n' all):

• Assembly was straightforward. The needle tightens with a twist, which the instructions don't tell you.
  • The bottle can be turned around on the gun to keep it pointing properly bottom upwards.
  • I sterilized everything using Milton disinfectant (once again, the instructions don't give any detail on this)
  • The gun is adjustable in 0.2ml jumps, up to a maximum of 2ml
  • To prime it with the Milton, I had to set it to 2ml, or it wouldn't suck properly.... more on that later  :-[
  • I left it with the disinfectant in for 15 mins, then attached the Footvax and purged through.
  • To attach the bottle, you have to slide it into the screw cap thing sideways, then stick it onto the spike and screw tight.
  • Operation was simple enough, and SO much safer than a regular syringe (for me, not the sheep). Just make a 'tent' of skin with left hand, then place the head of the sterimatic at the base of the tent, push to insert the needle, squeeze to inject, then withdraw.
  • This is a bit strange to begin with, in that you don't suck out at all to check you're not getting air or blood in. However, in theory, as long as there's no vaccine on the wool or in the body of the sterimatic, it should have gone where it was meant to!
  • However, after doing several, I realized that there was a bubble in the body of the gun, and it had lost its prime somewhere along the way  >:( . Because I wasn't used to the gun yet, I couldn't tell from the feel of it that it had only been squirting air. This had probably been caused by me withdrawing the gun with the bottle pointing the wrong way (it re-loads when you release the trigger).
  • Since the instructions for footvax say that a double dose is unlikely to kill them (it will just give them boils the size of a small car), I went back and re-dosed the doubtful ones. I'll let you know later if they all die  :-[ .
So, overall impressions?  MUCH safer to use than a regular syringe. Also quicker and easier to keep clean and sterile. Also if a sheep jumped when the needle went in, it was easy for me to know that I hadn't injected it with anything, and to then try again. More hassle to clean / disinfect before and after of course. Anyway, the big lesson is ALWAYS check that the barrel is still full / primed in between each injection.

If anybody else has some good tips, do share.

So, I hope that's useful to somebody. Please don't flame me though - I'm only learning!  :-[

:bookmark: automatic injector gun Sterimatic
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS