Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lambs for finishing  (Read 2348 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
lambs for finishing
« on: April 26, 2010, 09:07:59 am »
Hello all, hope the weekend was kind to you.

I have been offered some grazing for lambs and wanted to test out your feedback on the topic. There is around 20 acres, they don't want any money for rent and are simply happy to stay on top of the grass. The land is around a mile from where we live and keep our current sheep. Will I need a seperate holding number for it?

How many lambs would it support between now and October? Also, what breed would you go for and how much money are they likely to be?

Many thanks

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: lambs for finishing
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:09:34 am »
I would just phone up and register that field under your CPH number, then you can move sheep around within 5miles without a movement license providing they are registered to your holding.

Re the land, you would do better to run an electric fence down the middle then you could support more sheep as you could graze one side then put them on fresh and rest the other side, so you basically continually have fresh grass and better for finishing. You would need to do the maths to make sure the extra stock would cover the cost of the electric fencing, if you need to purchase.

If you are doing this for a good profit, go for a commercial breed such as a texel or texel cross to get the bigger carcass weight wise for market.

Sounds like you have a good deal there!!

morri2

• Joined Jun 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 11:06:18 am »
Shrek, I am so jealous - I could do with that kind of offer myself; 20 acres for nothing, like wow! - snatch his hand off!! 

As regards holding number - my land is 3 miles away and its under the same holding number as the home fields.  20 acres will support a goodly load of lambs provided its pretty decent - not quite sure about exact figures but I would think around 40 to 50, possibly more depending on quality.  If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me.  If you are sending lambs to market for the butcher, around here they are fetching around £60 a lamb.  You really can't go wrong with the Dorsets you already have if you want good meat lambs.  Jembo's suggestions are equally good.  If I could get hold of 20 acres I'd be doing rare breeds!!  Good luck !

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 04:25:59 pm »
Usually you would say 5 ewes per acre and that includes lambs when you are looking at stocking rates - but depends on type of grass etc. 

As for Jembo's suggestion about the 5 mile radius - the rules have changed this year!  You can stilln add the land as a grass keep number but you now MUST complete a movement license between the two properties - however you do not incur a standstill unless you move something on to either property from outside!  Clear as MUD!

I rent most of my land for my 200 ewes and now I have to do a movement license everytime a sheep farts!  Plus once I have some that are electronically tagged I will have to list them all individually - don't you just love paperpushers!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS