Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Cleaning lamb  (Read 3124 times)

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
Cleaning lamb
« on: April 22, 2010, 11:12:36 pm »
I got some sock lambs at auction on tuesday. One looks as though he wasn't cleaned properly by either mum or the farmer after the birth. Should i clean the wool as it is very hard n rough all over his body (head, tail and legs are fine)? Will it affect him as he grows (he is tiny at the mo) if left as it is? If i do need to clean him what is best to use to get clean?

Thanks claire

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
Re: Cleaning lamb
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 08:26:39 am »
I use hibi scrub very diluted to soften any scours around the back end and legs. I have never washed a whole lamb, as especially if they are tiny I would be worried about them getting cold.
I would however clean around the face and then towel dry, or stick under a lamp.
A couple of mine were covered and looked quite orange, I left them and now the wool is coming through nice and clean.

SueAllen

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 07:46:13 pm »
Can I be a fool and ask what a sock lamb is?

jembo

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 07:54:18 pm »
Its as far as I know a regional term for a bottle lamb. Another word you may here is a CADE lamb.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 08:41:50 pm »
They are Mollys here in pembs and Swcis down the road in Carms :)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 08:46:34 pm »
Here in Aberdeenshire it's "sickies" so I've be told but one of mine is definitely not sick - head butted me in the attempted to get closer to the bottle this morning!! Didn't know wether to laugh or cry - was seeing stars!
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS