Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Piglets arriving in March a quick question  (Read 2259 times)

Wen3

• Joined Aug 2015
Piglets arriving in March a quick question
« on: January 27, 2016, 08:17:09 pm »
Hi
We have put a deposit down on two piglets our first foray into pigs. I have my CPH number and herd number, my question is, will the piglets come with a herd number of the people we have brought from and do I then have to change this or just register them onto my CPH? I hope I have explained myself okay, TIA
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:23:20 pm by Wen3 »

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Piglets arriving in March a quich question
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 08:26:32 pm »
Depends a bit on where you are.
In Scotland, you will register with scoteid where movements are recorded online.
The seller will notify the movement and you log in to confirm receipt.
If under 12months and not registered, they will likely be moved with a spray paint mark for identification. If over 12 months or registered, they will have an ear tag relating to their original holding.
If you then move them to slaughter, you need to apply your own tags (with the herd number animal health provide you when you tell them you intend to keep pigs) or slapmark.
You need to record in your holding register a tally of pigs moving on and off, born or died. Again, animal health should provide you with a book for recording this.
Any questions, call your local animal health (animal and plant health agency or apha in Scotland) office.
If in England, I'm sure someone will be on soon who  can give you the right details of how it works there.

Wen3

• Joined Aug 2015
Re: Piglets arriving in March a quick question
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 08:32:01 pm »
Thank you I am in Suffolk England the pigs will be 8/9week when we get them.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 08:44:24 pm »
The seller will need to set up the eAML2 movements online (Animal Movement Licence) and will put in your details. You'll then get an e:mail confirming this has happened.  They'll probably move on a temporary mark (which has to last for the duration of the journey).  You then go online within three days of arrival and confirm the movement has taken place.  Lots more info on the British Pig Association website.

Rhea

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Wye Valley
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 09:55:02 pm »
As Marches Farmer explained, it's quite straight forward. The seller will fill in the eAML2 record which states your CPH number,  you will then have to confirm the movement on eAML2 when you get home.

We did pigs for the first time last year and got very nervous about it, but it's actually really simple. Hopefully you're buying from a friendly breeder who can answer any questions you have.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 10:36:08 pm »
The information on movement procedures outline above are correct. To get your own herd number you need to contact the Animal and Plant Health Agency. You will need this number when you take the pigs to slaughter. Your regional office is Bury St Edmunds but they have recently changed to a centralised telephone number 03000 200 301 (Defra Rural Services Helpline which comes under the ambit of APHA). If you phone them you will find them very helpful.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 10:40:54 pm by PK »

Wen3

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016, 10:00:04 am »
Thank you everyone for the help. I have called the central number 3 times now and have had only one bad experience. When you are new to all this I think you make it more complicated in your head by overthinking it and wanting to get it right lol

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 07:49:31 am »
Hi Wen3. The pigs we've had have always moved onto our holding with a temp mark & we have then slapped with our own herd number prior to going to slaughter - you will need your own slap marker if doing it this way. We've never dealt with tagged pigs. In the bury st edmunds area, feel free to pm, Suffolk Smallholders is also quite a good source of local knowledge if you haven't come across them.
Best regards zac

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS