Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land....now what.  (Read 8986 times)

shoveller

• Joined Feb 2014
Re: Land....now what.
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 06:28:33 pm »
Also be aware that planting trees on arable land will result in the roots eventually disrupting field drains.

If you don't already have one, it would be very worthwhile to get a map of the location of all field drains not only in your field but also the neighbouring ones if you can. I have maps for all my fields dating from the 50's and 60's - very useful if you have repairs to do, which happens on a regular basis.

If I had bought a field which was of good enough quality to be suitable for growing barley I would not want to engage in any management activity which would reduce its agricultural value and productivity.

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 03:07:10 pm »
I have a few maps of the drainage that I think are up to date....will have to check though.

Thing is whats the point in me keeping a field of barley really or managing the land as if its a large farm. If I am going to live on the property long term then why should I be fussed about its agricultural value and productivity ? Genuine questions !

This year barley will go in on about 8 acres and I'll hopefully plant up 1/2 acre with willow and take it from there. The other 1/2 will be my pigs and fruit bushes / canes :)

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 04:00:12 pm »
We grew barley in 2013 and it worked out quite well, we got quite a few bales from it; However we found the bales had a bit of moisture in ::)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 05:01:33 pm »
Farmland (and if it's been growing barley that's what you've got) has to be kept in Good Environmental and Agricultural Condition to qualify for SFP.  That is, capable of being productive and growing a crop or grazing.  Are you going to use the willow for biomass heating?  Or as a biodigester facility?  Or for basket weaving?  If none of the above then it's a waste of space.  How about an orchard (apple blossom honey)?  You could grow unusual fruit crops such as tayberries you can sell from the gate.

greengumbo

• Joined Feb 2015
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 12:27:05 pm »
Okay so land maintenance forms now getting processed and entitlements being transferred with the land....phew much paperwork.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS