Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Tupping shetland gimmers with...???  (Read 5692 times)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Tupping shetland gimmers with...???
« on: January 26, 2016, 02:25:47 pm »
Thinking ahead to Autumn here.

We have 12 Shetland ewes, who belong to my children, but mainly my middle one, Angus, who is 3.  He has a pretty good grasp of the way things are, that we produce animals for meat and so on. But, he is VERY attached to his Shetland tup, Ken.  we have just had a sort out of tups, and culled anything that we won't use again this back end. Angus persuaded me to keep Ken (I wouldn't have actually culled him, he is only 3 shear, so I would have looked for a swap, but that is beside the point). He says he understands that we can't keep Ken for ever but wants to keep him a bit longer.

The problem lies in that we have 4 of Ken's daughters to tup in November. There is absolutely no way I am getting into a two tup situation for 16 ewes, and I am not keeping something, not even as Angus's pet, that is not producing, so need to tup these 4 with something we have. The choices are: Lairg type cheviot (could work well), Kerry Hill (ideal shape for easy lambing but offsping likely to be worth about 10p, I would think), Berrichon (ditto Kerry Hill, although maybe a bit more shapely. And might just be interesting!) or  texel (a normal shaped one that looks like a sheep, but still a bit worried about the lamb size for lambing, although offspring might at least get the boy some pocket money for a new tup!).

Thoughts and experiences?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Tupping shetland gimmers with...???
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 02:30:45 pm »
In a similar situation (pet ram lamb who was loved by everyone)  I had him vasecomised and use him as teaser ...shorted lambing to 10 days last year with 19 ewes. .. so he still earns his keep and keeps ewe lambs company when taken from breeding flock. (he will follow a bucket anywhere!)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 03:38:55 pm »
Buy more Shetland ewes and another Shetland tup  :innocent:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 05:53:06 pm »
Rosemary, behave yourself.

Backinwellies, that is actually a very sensible suggestion, we keep some Berrichon x Chviot tup lambs to grow on as teasers, which we use with all our ewes, as we then know that without a doubt they are teasers (it got very confusing the year we used cheviots, OH sprayed big Ts on their backs, clipped them and forgot to respray them!).

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 06:00:45 pm »
If these will be 1st timers in autumn I wouldn't tup them with anything other than Shetland (or other small native breed).

Depending on what your health status is - can you board the 4 with a nearby Shetland breeder? I would have thought there are a few near you... (not me though, I don't know yet what is going to happen to my sheep come autumn).

Teasers sound good though, at least you will be able to tell him apart from the rest of your tups AND get a new Shetland one to do the work... :innocent:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 06:02:35 pm »
If you're ok with horns on a teaser who doesn't know he's not a full tup, then sounds like you have an answer ;)

Otherwise I had been going to ask whether you eat some of the Shetlands yourself?  If so, and the quantities work, would it be ok to put Ken to his 4 daughters and make sure to eat all those offspring? 

And find Ken a nice swapsie home for 2017...

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 08:40:15 pm »
Still think my suggestion is the best  :huff:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 08:58:07 pm »

Otherwise I had been going to ask whether you eat some of the Shetlands yourself?  If so, and the quantities work, would it be ok to put Ken to his 4 daughters and make sure to eat all those offspring? 

In theory, that is a grand idea, I just don't think my mind can cope with it. Not the eating, I'm fine with that, it's the Ken getting up to mischief with his daughters!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 09:20:32 pm »
Not the eating, I'm fine with that, it's the Ken getting up to mischief with his daughters!

Ach, yer fine; it's the Borders  ;D

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 09:26:07 pm »
Ach, well I'm in Cumbria, so it's no big deal here!   :roflanim:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2016, 11:00:46 pm »
Shetland tups aren't good in tupping season when his ewes done they like to escape and look for more(my experience) Vasectomise or castrate  Ken or swap for new Shetland tup, if you ve got secure enough fences, space have 2 shetland tups or if you want to put to commercial continental tup I would reccommend Charollais.

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2016, 03:33:01 pm »
Space isn't an issue, but having a second tup would mean they had a very small number of ewes each. Which makes the looking for more ewes issue a much greater likelihood. I really do want to use Ken again as I think he is a fantastic tup, so pretty set on the iea of tupping them with something else. However, I am absolutely not buying another tup for the sake of 4 gimmers. It will have to one of what we've got already and they will just tag onto their larger batch. We also don't have space to split the shetlands into two in that although there are acres and acres of ground, there are not enough separate enclosures.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2016, 03:48:38 pm »
Why can't you sell those 4 gimmers at the Lanark sale and then he gets some pocket money from that (or buys 4 unrelated ones as replacements)?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 03:50:13 pm »
Unless you have anyone else locally with a Shetland tup who you would be happy to take the 4 to, for tupping?

I'm with Anke - I'd really rather a Shetland or similar size tup for a first-timer.  But if not possible, then I'd go with the tup that'll give the lowest birth weight of the options you have available.  I'd worry about her tummy muscles carrying the lambs more than I'd worry about the actual lambing itself - Shetlands are pretty generously sized in the birth canal.

Given the size of Cheviot store lambs, that might even mean the Cheviot would be a contender?  (I've never lambed Cheviots, so don't know what size lambs they have at birth.)

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2016, 04:39:46 pm »
Why can't you sell those 4 gimmers at the Lanark sale and then he gets some pocket money from that (or buys 4 unrelated ones as replacements)?

Because he's spent hours and hours with them, they have individual names, he's halter trained him themself...

I've never been in this situation before of trying to balance the practicalities with the emotional needs of a 3 year old. 1200 cheviots do not cause me anything like the hassle!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS