Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: heat lamp  (Read 5573 times)

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
heat lamp
« on: April 24, 2010, 05:09:11 pm »
when can the heat lamp be removed from the chicks they are two days old

langdon :chook:
Langdon ;)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: heat lamp
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 08:53:15 pm »
Once they have their feathers; if it's warm, I start putting it off during the day at about 4 weeks. If they look cold / uncomfortable, I put it back on.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 09:49:14 am »
i gues you mean their true feathers.
does the time depend on breed?
thanks for reply ;) :chook:
Langdon ;)

cluckyclaire

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 09:59:06 am »
They are all about the same really on feather growing - normally 4-6 weeks. I then switch the lamp of during the day. when they seem settled with that (few days-week) i leave the lamp of at night too and give them another week still indoors with no lamp and then take them outside - normally bout 7-8 weeks old.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 03:19:48 pm »
cheers ;)

they are amazing cant wait to see how many hatch from these eight eggs that are in the incu.

langdon  :chook:  ;D
Langdon ;)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 05:31:46 pm »
I bet the children are loving watching them grow too? its a magical time  :)  I'd love to hatch some eggs here but we have 4 cats in the house so maybe not!! do you have any pictures for us to ooh and aah over please?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 08:20:54 pm »
will have to get the other half on that, i like photos but id rather let someone else
do all that!
i can just about find my way around ere! ;D
Langdon ;)

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 09:49:56 pm »
I'd love to hatch some eggs here but we have 4 cats in the house so maybe not!!

I've got three cats myself but don't let that stop us. The chicks live in a box in the shower under a light until they're big enough to manage going out to the garage - which usually happens at about 4-6 weeks or whenever my wife gets too fed up with always having to have baths. The extra cat-proof door on the shower helps keep them safe enough.

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 10:05:38 pm »
cat living ere too, so no excuse!

i wana see photos ;D
Langdon ;)

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 07:13:59 am »
It's a fair piece while since we bothered but after about a fortnight or so maybe three weeks We lifted the lamp a little until after about a month or so they didn't need it,unless it was unusually cold.Don't forget Mummy hen doesn't suddenly say to them at six weeks your not coming under any more.Lovely and warm Tuesday night Bluddi cold Wednesday because the warm has dissapeared ??? :D :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 07:35:26 am »
well I suppose they could have the rabbit indoor cage as a brooder once these baby bunnies have all grown up and gone  ;)  that needed to be cat proofed after one of these cats pulled a baby bunny through the bars and run off with it  :'( we lost 3 from that litter due to injury and shock.
I'd be too worried about getting loads of cockerals as I couldnt' despatch them myself (too much of a wuss!)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Elissian

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Wiltshire
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 12:12:32 pm »
We have 6 cats and we hatch chicks. I think they leave them alone because they've experienced the power of a protective broody hen, our buff orpington used to smother the cats with her wings if they went near her brood.. i also wonder if they associate them with the family as they're handled by us. They do start off life in a totally sealed enclosure where the cats can look but not touch. I take my dog in with them as soon as they're fluffed up and dry that way they're used to dogs and the dogs not that interested in them. As i write this I've just put my latest hatch outside as it's lovely and hot today, hope I don't eat my words as the cat walks in with a mouthfull of chick!!

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 08:32:10 pm »
there you go! three people telling you to give it ago,
as said we have a cat but we just need to be extra carefull when she is around and to not
forget to close the door after us!
as for the cockerels get tony on the job, sounds like you got him on every job!
think of that nice chicken that you fattened up yourself cooking away and the veggies that you grew
boiling in the pots and hungry bellies to fill.MMMmmm ;D
Langdon ;)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 09:40:12 pm »
well I suppose they could have the rabbit indoor cage as a brooder once these baby bunnies have all grown up and gone  ;)  that needed to be cat proofed after one of these cats pulled a baby bunny through the bars and run off with it  :'( we lost 3 from that litter due to injury and shock.
I'd be too worried about getting loads of cockerals as I couldnt' despatch them myself (too much of a wuss!)

BE AWARE! the bars can too far apart if the chicks are little and can get high enough to be above the plastic, and can squeeze out.  Chicken wire is a good cover (unless they're really Kamakazi and hang themselves)

but still a great thing for brooding....
Little Blue

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 08:06:28 am »
Tony is vegetarian  ;D  asking him to cull a cockeral might be pushing it a bit!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS