Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Keeping Goats for Meat  (Read 12629 times)

IretonsFarm

• Joined Aug 2015
Keeping Goats for Meat
« on: January 26, 2016, 10:31:55 am »
Does anybody do this semi-commercially?

We have been approached by one of our customers (a local butcher) and asked if we could/would consider producing goat meat so basically just trying to find out what is involved to see if it is commercially viable?

Breed wise whats best for carcass weight & taste?
Are they easy to breed, what sort of numbers do you get? I'm assuming they will be akin to sheep?
What sort of age do you have to go to for meat?
Any idea what feed requirements would be from weaning to slaughter?
I hear they are escape artists so is standard stock net with two strands of barb at the top sufficient to keep them in?
Stocking densities?
Any other considerations? Vaccinations/ ticks etc??

All help and advice greatly appreciated

Dave

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
Re: Keeping Goats for Meat
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 11:01:21 am »
Hi, check out the Boer Goat information on line. They are specifically bred for meat, people tend not to disbud ( remove horns) , as they live outside with shelter, goats hate rain and are not waterproof as only have hair. Injections ,usually 6 monthly lambivac, they don't need all the cover given in something like heptovac P, I think that johnes disease is the biggest no no but I don't know how prevalent it is in Boers. They're not cheap to buy but you should get a good carcase off them. If you Google them you will see they are short very stocky goats, should be ready to market in the same time as lambs, minus the fat. Good Luck, goats are great, friendly if handled well , and just wonderful creatures  :wave: :excited:

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 12:40:13 pm »
Please don't use barbed wire on your fences. Stock fencing plus either plain wire or electrified wire for a top strand keeps all of my goats in.
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 01:08:59 pm »
we slaughter our billy kids for meat, sold to hotels. The herd is dairy (Saanen/GG etc) crossed with Boer. We had 8 kids this year (7 female/1Male) so it looks like a few of those females will have to go for meat this year.
We use stock fencing with electric top wires but I have one that could easy enter the Grand National  ::)
They are more hands on than sheep, need shelter, feed, worming etc and easy to breed it just depends on how much time/effort you can put in to make it worth your while
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 06:31:36 pm »
Feisty if you want to build the flock and not slaughter your girls you could get a shot of Andy the Randy one. 

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 06:37:56 pm »
Your initial setup costs will be high but we sell our meat for twice the price than we sell our hebridean hogget so long term very profitable.
Goat meat is Britain's fastest growing meat market and not just the ethnic trade.
Breeding has to be either pure boer or bore x any of  the dairy breeds although sandals do have a tendency to have multiple kidds.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 07:11:37 pm »
don't tempt me verdifish  ;D

sitting at 19 goats at the mo so building the herd even more would also involve building yet another shed and acquiring more grazing which isn't going to happen anytime soon  :( I would keep them all if it was practical but need some return
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 08:51:31 pm »
Your initial setup costs will be high but we sell our meat for twice the price than we sell our hebridean hogget so long term very profitable.
Goat meat is Britain's fastest growing meat market and not just the ethnic trade.
Breeding has to be either pure boer or bore x any of  the dairy breeds although sandals do have a tendency to have multiple kidds.

Sandals?   ???

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 09:16:01 pm »

Sandals?   ???

Ah er Um maybe I meant saanens. my phone has turretes. 

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 10:16:06 pm »
Good you have a butcher and customers but research your area is there a slaughterhouse near that will take goats or do you have to travel 100 miles to one, also what are their charges -adds to cost.
Boer is the meat breed and dairy x boer preferred dam but also some people rear dairy or dairy x boer male kids for meat from dairy herds from a week or so old but obviously not such a good carcass as pure boer but lower cost than setting up breeding herd from scratch. That could be an option to start with milk replacer  creep, hay  browsing, grazing, to try it out before committing to breeding herd.
As others have said goats need access to shed all year round and hay /straw as if raining not eating. Higher vaccination / wormer costs as have different dosages to sheep often double dose for some. Electric fencing is a must. Most goats usually have twins quite common to have have triplets / quads -especially AN. They will de bark trees!
I read an article -boer goat breeder selling carcass straight from slaughterhouse for £6 per kg. (south England) I know a breeder who markets meat direct to public averages £10 per kilo.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 10:43:38 pm by Talana »

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2016, 10:30:36 am »
Good you have a butcher and customers but research your area is there a slaughterhouse near that will take goats or do you have to travel 100 miles to one, also what are their charges -adds to cost.
Boer is the meat breed and dairy x boer preferred dam but also some people rear dairy or dairy x boer male kids for meat from dairy herds from a week or so old but obviously not such a good carcass as pure boer but lower cost than setting up breeding herd from scratch. That could be an option to start with milk replacer  creep, hay  browsing, grazing, to try it out before committing to breeding herd.
As others have said goats need access to shed all year round and hay /straw as if raining not eating. Higher vaccination / wormer costs as have different dosages to sheep often double dose for some. Electric fencing is a must. Most goats usually have twins quite common to have have triplets / quads -especially AN. They will de bark trees!
I read an article -boer goat breeder selling carcass straight from slaughterhouse for £6 per kg. (south England) I know a breeder who markets meat direct to public averages £10 per kilo.

And there was me thinking ???? males for meat were worthless??? 

IretonsFarm

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 09:21:40 am »

Sounds like a good price but what sort of dead weight do you get out of a Boer goat?

What is the issue with barb are they likely to try and jump it or is it personal preference as obviously electric is an added expense / maintenance.

Talana

• Joined Mar 2014
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 09:45:33 am »
It's worth noting often dairy males are culled at birth. Price & costs will depend where u are what kind of stock you have and what your butcher is willing to pay. The potential for those prices quoted are there but not available to everyone. Boer goat society has lot's info.
Goats are capable of jumping and as goats like standing on fences with front feet the barb could damage them, with a normal stock fence electric wire across should stop any problems and reduce tag loss.

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 11:34:04 am »
ID    Birth Weight   Live Weight Prior to slaughter   Dead Weight   Kill Out Ratio   Age (weeks)   Weekly Weight Gain (kg)   DLWG (kg)
1   3.45   47.73   25.6   0.54   38   1.165   0.166
2   3.44   43.18   22   0.51   35   1.135   0.149

The above is 2 goats we reared last year - kill out ratio was 54% and 51%.  We aim for at least 40kg carcass.  They are 100% uncastrated Boers. Working this year on improving the birth weights as were low last year and not sure why.
PM me if you want more information

Pabs63

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2016, 02:34:22 pm »
Cuckoo, that looks a good weight. Our 100% castrated Boers were on average 26kg at 9 months. We will not castrate this year to improve carcass weight. Our birth weights varied for singles between 8 and 12 lbs.
Wrt to jumping fences ours have not. We have a plain wire at 3" at the base then standard stock fencing then 2 strands of plain wire. The top wire at approx 5 feet. We also have put an electric fence wire above than but not ever needed to switch it on.  One problem with sheep stock fencing is that horned kids will get their heads stuck.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS