Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Organic sheep feed  (Read 4669 times)

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
Organic sheep feed
« on: January 24, 2016, 10:54:21 pm »
Is anyone out there feeding organic sheep nuts? I'm considering it, for environmental reasons more than anything else, but just starting out finding some info.

What do people use and how do they get hold of them?

Thanks
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Organic sheep feed
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 11:48:20 pm »
I never use ewe nuts, organic or no, I use wheatbeet and sugarbeet pellets for mine ( in moderate amounts of course). Have you tried wynnstay stores? They should be able to help am sure, however it will be rather expensive. Wouldn't it be cheaper to use gm free than organic? I try and keep away from gm feed as much as possible. If you find anything though do let me know, i dont think I've seen organic ewe pellets before ???
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:56:30 pm »
GM free isn't a direct alternative to Organic.  The jury is still out on GM crops and their safety, but we know for sure that the chemicals used to produce crops under a 'conventional' system cause harm to the environment and to the consumer.

Although we keep our soil chemical free, we do use chemicals for our flock health where necessary, and we don't use organic feed - largely because it's not freely available.  Our sheep mostly get grass grown without chemical applications, and hay cut from the same ground, by us.  The proportion of manufactured feed used is low, but I think we're just being lazy by not investigating organic suppliers more thoroughly.  So I will be interested in the results you get from this thread princesslayer.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 08:24:23 am »
And remember organic can contain a significand proportion of imported soya.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 05:06:26 pm »
Rosemary said: And remember organic can contain a significand proportion of imported soya.

I thought most of the soya imported for animal feed came from the Americas. And don't I remember reading that throughout the Americas all soya has been intentionally or non intentionally cross bred with GM varieties.

Regards, Dave   --  not organic!

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2016, 06:11:21 pm »
We are organic (nearly certified)

B&W feeds in Dorset or Hi Peak in Sheffield. Alway better on pallet but ensure you buy what you need.  Keep in locked storage as the rats love it.

As for soya there is some grown organically.  Not a fan of soya either but hard to escape from.  Not all soya is grown in the Americas.  Hi Peak was 100% organic.

We are grain free we use Lucerne as the nut alternative.  We did get beet last year but think we had poorer results on it.  Big fan of lucerne our milking cow and Bull looks terrific on it.

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2016, 06:11:51 pm »
Most feed merchants have an organic range, just give them a bell and ask

I've not bought organic sheep feed but plenty of organic pig and poultry feed (by the artic load) so I know it's out there

If you are lucky you will be able to specify if you want soya included but it probably depends on how much you order

Try MVF ---they will have stores or delivery in your area I think

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 06:16:40 pm »
A lot of us involved with the pasture fed movement use lucerne also called Alfalfa

http://www.nickersondirect.co.uk/downloads/A4LucerneBrochureFINALSCREEN.pdf

Also more cost effective to buy direct from the mill.  If you can pick it up even better or share it with someone the biggest problem is the courier cost.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2016, 06:28:05 pm »
Check out marriagefeeds.com.

lintmill

• Joined Sep 2011
  • South Lanarkshire
    • The Lint Mill
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 05:56:28 pm »
We use Hi-Peak also,  sheep/pigs/hens and turkeys (when we have them)  Delivery is always prompt.
We also sometimes share a pallet with a neighbour so delivery charge shared.

Minimum order 25 bags.
Their feed is made up of the following....
OUR ORGANIC RATIONS ARE FORMULATED USING A SELECTION OF THE FOLLOWING:
Organic Raw Materials

• Organic Wheat
  • Organic Triticale
  • Organic Spelt
  • Organic Maize
  • Organic Barley
  • Organic Oats
  • Organic Wheatfeed

• Organic Whole Rapeseed
  • Organic Rapeseed Expeller
  • Organic Palm Kernel Expeller
  • Organic Lucerne
  • Organic Soya
  • Organic Lupins
  • Organic Beans

• Organic Vetch
  • Organic Sunflower Expeller
  • Organic Rice Protein
  • Organic Linseed
  • Organic Peas
  • Organic Cane Molasses
  • Organic Soya Oil
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 06:07:58 pm by lintmill »

princesslayer

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Tadley, Hants
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2016, 08:05:49 am »
For anyone interested, I ended up getting Organic feed Company nuts at £12.90 for 20kg. Pricey, so lucky I only need 6-8 bags. My local feed merchant was able to get these easily. Ewes seem to like it, it's 15% protein, hopefully enough? I'll post the breakdown of the ingredients if anyone wants to know.
Keeper of Jacob sheep, several hens, Michael the Cockerel and some small children.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2016, 08:39:33 am »
Would be good to know. I'm glad that you have found organic feed; the reason why organic is a hefty price is that it takes longer to grow and is more open to the elements of disease than the sprayed stuff is. I myself grew barley the other year organically and it took ages, but was well worth the wait :) your animals will be healthy eating that; its just a shame more people couldn't grow stuff organically, then it would be cheaper.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Mrs T

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 11:08:47 pm »
Our sheep are organic certified and we buy from For Farmers (was BOCM Pauls). Minimum 1 tonne for delivery, cheaper than Hi Peak or Allen & Page is it (the organic feed co. range), last time I priced it.

Hope this helps if you buy again!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS