Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Homeshield re rendering  (Read 2918 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Homeshield re rendering
« on: January 18, 2016, 07:03:10 pm »
Our west facing wall has taken a battering in the rain and the water has come through the cracked render. It needs repairs but we have been sent in the free post a flyer for 'Homeshield wall coating'. Has anyone any experience of this? (Good or bad)

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
Re: Homeshield re rendering
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 09:31:14 am »
Since no one else has replied it seems not!  Personally I have avoided it and gone for re rendering as I've never been convinced after all papering over the cracks inside is one thing but outside?  Depends on how long you intend to stay in the house and how bad it is but certainly worth talking to a good local builder as they won't be on commission and should tell you the best way of sorting your issue, then you can compare costs etc. if you want to look into this.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 10:05:47 am »
Thanks. From the silence I guessed no one had. I have a builder lined up to do exactly as you suggest. We expect to be here a good while.
Greg

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 12:39:05 pm »
Best of luck. It is always a concern when to do a major repair vs a clean off and start again. I had mine done a couple of years back and getting the old render off only took a couple of days so it is maybe not as pricey as you might think.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2016, 11:19:42 pm »
Advice received is to reface the most affected gable with exterior insulation which is then rendered. Sounds a good approach. We are awaiting quote but have already decided we going to do one gable first and see how we get on. (Will post how we get on in case it is of interest.)

Clarebelle

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Orkney
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 07:18:00 am »
it will be of interest to me!

regen

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 08:01:49 am »
The render on our stone built house was in poor condition and for years we filled cracks and repainted with various  paints but it never lasted.

2 years ago we had the whole house done with 90mm of external insulation followed by render and stone chipping under the ECO scheme and it still looks fine as well as halving the fuel bills.

However if you need to have the gables extended this could add a lot to the cost.

Regen

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 08:04:33 am »
The gable can be the most expensive because of the meed to extend but we think we have just enough overhang to do it :fc:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS