Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: newcastle/nothumberland breeders  (Read 2117 times)

dave338

• Joined Mar 2015
newcastle/nothumberland breeders
« on: January 19, 2016, 07:54:46 pm »
Hi everyone ,
Iam quite new on here and looking to get a couple of soay , I would ideally like to find someone near Newcastle/ Northumberland
To purchase from and hopefully willing to share there knowledge and tips etc , if any one has suggestions that would be great ,
I have a couple of blocks of Woodland boardering my fields which have previously been used for horses , all new fences and  4 empty stables ,
Thanks for reading
Dave

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
Re: newcastle/nothumberland breeders
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 09:10:48 pm »
Hello! No help with the soay, but am not that far from you, relatively; welcome to the forum.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 10:41:10 pm »
Welcome neighbour!   :wave:

I'm just over the border in Cumbria. 

There's a North Ronaldsay breeder near Hexham, plenty of Shetland breeders around, me with my crossbreeds (Shetland x most things, lol, especially Manx and BFL), a new Manx flock near Appleby, Castlemilk Moorits a-plenty in Cumbria and Yorkshire, Hebrideans ditto...  But the only place I can think might have Soay would be Bede's World.  I'll keep my ears open for you. 

If no-one on here comes up with anyone, it might be worth asking on the Facebook Coloured Sheepbreeders group.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Small Plot Big Ideas

• Joined May 2012
  • North Pennines, UK
    • Small Plot Big Ideas
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 09:12:57 am »
 Hello from the Northumberland tip of the North Pennines!   :wave:

I'm sure there's bound to be someone out there with Soay. Have you tried contacting the breed society? That approach worked for me when starting to look at Dexter cattle...

Also try some of the smallholder groups - I belong to North Pennines Smallholders which covers the North Pennines and surrounding areas but there is also a Northumbria Smallholders group and perhaps the North Yorkshire Smallholders might not be too far away.

Good luck!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS