Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Charcuterie a viable business idea?  (Read 5149 times)

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
Charcuterie a viable business idea?
« on: January 18, 2016, 06:50:32 pm »
Hi all,

We currently keep weaners every year for meat for our freezer.  Have been reluctant to sell the meat as I feel the cost of pig feed doesn't make it possible to make any profit.

Charcuterie is my new idea of adding value to the meat.  I have researched about making a Curing Chamber which seems relatively cheap and a good starting place to trial some recipes and to see if we can actually produce a tasty product.

Question is....Is there anyone currently making their own charcuterie to sell and do you think it is worth trying as a business venture.  i will be running it along side lots of other smallholding based projects but would be nice to know if there are others out there making a small business out of this.

thanks all. x
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

Aharrold

• Joined Jan 2015
Re: Charcuterie a viable business idea?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 08:10:45 pm »
Jamie & Jimmy had a piece on Charcuterie on their last episode, should still be available to view online. Quite a few people were doing it, and we'll. I've looked into it but what put me off was having the proper location/equipment to cure and dry. You basically require a controlled environment in this country to obtain a quality product, ie a temperature/humidity controlled room. To me that was going to be a big expense to create and operate.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 03:34:25 pm »
If you put in overheads and insurance - food risks! I wouldnt think there is much in it.  I know of Trealy Farm,http://www.trealyfarm.com/ I would question if they are making big profits as they do have to buy in pork.  The machinery, fridges, kitchen (all to standard), skins, labelling machine, cure chambers, ingredient list etc (initial investment high)

Ive made hams and bacon - its time consuming.  If you go onto http://forum.sausagemaking.org/ and ask the same. I image the risks are high due to temperatures.  You would most def need a good insurance cover should any listeria or similar goes into the stomach of the public and fight any court case where you have been vindicated.

Best be more self sufficent and get your products to a good standard and take it from there.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 03:43:02 pm »
If you want to add value to meat you burger and sausage animals then cook it on site in a unique and enticing way at festivals etc.  I cant see where you are coming from that charcuterie adds value to meat????

Coming from a medium farm and sold meat boxes I have a lot of experience in meat and selling and its not easy.

HappyHippy

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 01:32:58 pm »
Before you do anything talk to your local environmental health officer and research insurance.
I'd been all set for an on-farm butchery with sausage, bacon and charcuterie but the requirements and changes I'd have had to make to keep them happy would have cost in the region of £10K - it wasn't viable with the numbers we were sending to slaughter (around 20 pigs per year)
A friend makes salami's etc and had to get a special (expensive!) fridge to keep the EHO happy.
It does vary from one place to another but check with them first.
HTH
Karen

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 03:22:15 pm »
  I cant see where you are coming from that charcuterie adds value to meat????

I cannot understand this. Are you saying that producing bacon and sausages, or gammon, does not add value to meat?
If so somebody better tell the world because we've all been paying through the nose for these products since time began.....

And if it does add value, why does charcuterie not? Where are you buying yours that costs no more than a pork joint?

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 03:23:33 pm »

A friend makes salami's etc and had to get a special (expensive!) fridge to keep the EHO happy.
It does vary from one place to another but check with them first.

It does indeed vary, we have standard fridges and freezers and use a usb temp logger ot produce the necessary records of stable/correct temperatures.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 05:15:13 pm »
Hi all,

We currently keep weaners every year for meat for our freezer.  Have been reluctant to sell the meat as I feel the cost of pig feed doesn't make it possible to make any profit.

The thing is that if you have home reared pork you are not selling the equivalent of a supermarket product so you have to take your costs and then charge a relevant price. However, if you don't have customers then you don't have customers. Most people are not realistic about their prices.

There is no quick way to make a product and if someone has found a way then they are not likely to tell you. If you want to do something different to add value to your product you have to research your market and the competition and do a realistic business plan.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 07:15:12 pm »
However, if you don't have customers then you don't have customers. Most people are not realistic about their prices.

Which way Harmony? too high or too low?

We sold our 1/2 lamb boxes last year for £8 per kg, and whilst I was comfortable with that, I inwardly winced as I told people the total amount. However, we did get them all sold and without any bother, so maybe I just need to get a grip!? :-\
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

StephB

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 08:25:50 pm »
Lots of interesting replies there, thank you all.

I have researched constructing our own Curing Chamber out of a tall standard fridge and it looks like about a £100 initial investment.

I am planning on contacting our local council this week to discuss the hurdles involved.

I thought that as long as you are selling direct to the public and not a third party you were allowed to use your own kitchen.

Interesting comments on the insurance side of things, maybe public liability.  I will have to research that to check it isn't prohibitive.

I was hoping to start small, selling to local friends etc and maybe at food fairs.  Then if it grew to warrant the expense then I would get hubby to convert a brick built shed we have into a compliant processing room.

Thanks for your very honest replies, there are a few companies out there but not masses.  i guess that could either mean there isn't the market out there for it, or I could be joining a movement before the market gets flooded. 

I am going to have to learn alot about how to make a business viability plan.  :relief: :thinking:
Living on a 6 acre smallholding in Dorset.
Jersey cow, Aberdeen Angus cattle, small flock of Poll Dorset x sheep, Occasional weaner pigs, Geese, ducks and hens.
Polytunnel / Veg plot.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2016, 08:56:42 pm »
However, if you don't have customers then you don't have customers. Most people are not realistic about their prices.

Which way Harmony? too high or too low?

We sold our 1/2 lamb boxes last year for £8 per kg, and whilst I was comfortable with that, I inwardly winced as I told people the total amount. However, we did get them all sold and without any bother, so maybe I just need to get a grip!? :-\

Hello Womble,

Most people don't charge enough because they don't do their sums.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 09:01:26 pm »

I am planning on contacting our local council this week to discuss the hurdles involved.

I thought that as long as you are selling direct to the public and not a third party you were allowed to use your own kitchen.

Interesting comments on the insurance side of things, maybe public liability.  I will have to research that to check it isn't prohibitive.

To use your own kitchen it will need to be certified by EH, it will need to have certain things, like 2, maybe 3 sinks, etc...
We cannot overcome this hurdle yet so our butchery is done by a pro

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS