Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: TV White Space - Rural Broadband?  (Read 2516 times)

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
TV White Space - Rural Broadband?
« on: January 18, 2016, 12:31:21 pm »
http://www.scotsman.com/news/how-do-we-fill-scotland-s-broadband-black-hole-1-3918679

Interesting....

Any fellow TASer's  up in Orkney etc that benefits from this yet and if so what's it like?....Wouldn't it be nice to actually get the broadband speed we actually pay for?
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

Mickey

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: TV White Space - Rural Broadband?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 10:02:25 pm »
Looks interesting although down where we are (SW Scotland) there is no TV signal whilst broadband is unreliable and slow, nevertheless Superfast Scotland have emailed me to say we are getting fast Broadband this Summer, I am somewhat sceptical.  It certainly would be great to get the advertised speed and the one that we pay for, beats me why we have to pay the same or more than others getting 100MB plus but that's life.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 02:22:50 pm »
No TV signal here either. 

BT has been laying fibre optic up here for the last year.  Bettyhill, 7 miles up the road, is now switched on, Melvich 7 miles in the other direction will be on soon.  Armadale and Strathy?  We've got direct connections to the exchange rather than going through a cabinet, so they have no idea when they'll get us sorted out  :rant:  I'm hoping that the fact we have the medical centre for the whole area in the village will mean that they're forced to find a solution.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 04:11:54 pm »
we have fibre optic cables running about 9 miles away from us and Superfast Scotland people are looking into 'alternatives' as we'll never get connected to fibre optic.
We have a community broadband meeting in the village hall on Wednesday so will go see what's going on or not going on..... :innocent:
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

ramon

• Joined Feb 2014
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 11:24:32 am »
Would be interested in hearing whether Community Broadband has anything useful to offer. I am also in an area that will never be served by fibre optic. So far community broadband has shown no interest in offering help (we are an isolated community of 4 households and they seem only interested in helping larger communities). Satellite broadband is our only option and the limited data allowance can be a problem especially when I work from home.
No TV signal here and no internet access available via telephone lines as too far from the exchange.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS