Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: tractor tyre help.......  (Read 2455 times)

jbthecamel

• Joined Sep 2015
tractor tyre help.......
« on: January 17, 2016, 07:55:29 pm »
i'm looking at getting some larger tyres to decrease the pressure on the ground the tractor creates.

I have a little kubota 2530.

1.  I have no idea what the tyre sizing relates to.  On the back i have 9.5-18 and the front 6.00-12.  Can somebody tell me what the numbers mean ?

2.  Looking at wider tyres (as soon as I know what the numbers mean). I don't really want to replace the wheels as well as the tyres so is there a rule of thumb of what width tyre you can put on a certain wheel?

3.  I am assuming that doubling the width of the tyres with decrease the pressure on the ground by 1/2 ?  somewhere close or in reality does it not make much difference ?

thanks

Jon

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
Re: tractor tyre help.......
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 09:41:23 pm »
6.00-12 should be 6" section width and 12" diameter rim. Ideally you'd run them on a <6" x 12" rim.  You can put slightly wider tyres on a given rim size, but I'm not sure how far you can go.

You may have to do a bit of reading on sites like :
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tyre-size-for-rim-size-width-calculator

The above links are more concerned with metric radial tyre sizes, but I think the 2nd one has a convertor.

The simpler option might be to run the existing tyres at low pressure, but with the risk that they'll be easier to knock off the rims if they're tubeless.

if you want to fit wider tyres anyway you'll need to check what the rim width is, either by asking kubota or checking to see if it's stamped on the rim somewhere.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 09:44:37 pm by mab »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: tractor tyre help.......
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 08:04:45 am »
I have two quad bikes.  One has oversize tyres and the other standard thinner tyres.  The standard tyres get through the mud where the oversize ones cannot.  Both make ruts.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS