Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Plucking ducks  (Read 3472 times)

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
Plucking ducks
« on: January 17, 2016, 05:46:41 pm »
So the date couldnt be delayed anymore. My 6 male muscovies time was up.... I was dreading plucking them as it's usually quite a chore but a neighbour told me to kill them then quickly make a hole under the skin and inflate them with a bike pump and then proceed to dry pluck them. I have no idea why this worked so well but I followed this advice, one at a time and the whole lot were done and in the freezer within 2 hours. They are lovely  big birds and I am looking forward to duck roast!

Thought I would share as I know many people dread plucking their duck and some even opt for skinning.

Happy plucking!

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
  • Bramham flock Wiltshire Horns
Re: Plucking ducks
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 10:44:45 am »
thanks for that very interesting

im considering looking for a old pottery wheel putting some sides and rubber fingers on it,

in theory as you turn tbe wheel it should pluck

again in theory
follow on FB@BramhamWiltshireHorns

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 10:57:16 am »
Good grief I've never heard that one before. Plucking ducks particularly muscovies is so hard, enough to have stopped me from  keeping them - thanks for the tip.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

gerpsych

• Joined May 2012
  • Gwynedd
  • The beatings will continue until morale improves
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 01:58:20 pm »
I have this job to do fairly soon. I have hated plucking the muscoveys and sometimes have resorted to skinning them as it takes too long. How did you get a seal around the bicycle pump and the skin ? It sounds like a sanity saver

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 02:09:51 pm »
It sounds like a sanity saver

It sounds like the sort of thing that would get you sectioned if anybody saw you doing it!!  :roflanim:

So let me get this right. You killed them, then blew them up like balloons, then let the air out (hopefully they didn't fly around the room making farting noises!?), then dry plucked them as usual?  And this made them easier to pluck?

I'm not sure if this is a windup or utter genius. I'm going to have to give it a go though!!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 03:12:46 pm »
I have this job to do fairly soon. I have hated plucking the muscoveys and sometimes have resorted to skinning them as it takes too long. How did you get a seal around the bicycle pump and the skin ? It sounds like a sanity saver

Promise it's not a wind up Womble haha! I made a hole with a sharp knife under the skin and then put the pump nose in and secured round the area with my fingers. My brother pumped quickly and in 30 seconds it balloons up and then you take out the nose and get plucking. The key is to make these steps quick. I was dead in doing 6 but it was really easy and I will always do it this way now! Let me know how you go!!

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 09:21:53 am »
just out of interest did you use neck disculation and then bleed them out,
what age where your muscovies

im curious as i have 3 to do that are around 8 months old

thanks

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 11:06:05 am »
Mine were around 5 months old. I used the Broom stick method then bled them out. The main thing is to be quick so they don't get cold. Let me know how it goes with 8 month old cos I was thinking I would leave the females longer so they get fatter... just not sure if plucking gets harder as they get older!?

Bramham Wiltshire Horns

• Joined Oct 2014
  • leeds
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 11:37:49 am »
YE I HAVE HEARD THE PIN FEATHERS GET HARDER TO GET OUT

I HAD MUSCOVY BREAST A FEW WEEKS BACK AND IT REALLY IS LIKE A NICE STEAK IF COOKED ALITLLE PINK

I AM GOING TO DO THE ROAST THE WHOLE THING NEXT TIME

WHAT EQUIPTMENT DID YOU USE

I WAS THINKING OF DIPPING IN HOT WATER AND RUBBER GLOVER TO HELP WITH THE PLUCKING

ITS THE FIST TIME I WILL BE DOING IT

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 05:13:44 pm »
I literally just killed them, inflated and then dry plucked... no equipment Other than my hands a broom stick a knife and a bucket for feathers and guts!

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 09:22:56 pm »
Really we plucked 7 older muscovy ducks a few months ago - first time we raised ducks.  When warm found it very easy and did a few in no time - used my 10yr old son who was brilliant at this. Used pliers for the wings  and did them pretty fast.  No issues apart from the hard pin feathers

Hung them for 3 days and froze - very delicious too!

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 09:25:38 pm »
think they were just over 5 months old all males too.  I didnt worry too much about the whispy feathers I just ran a gas lighter over them before cooking.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS