Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lambing supplies - central belt Scotland  (Read 2076 times)

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
Lambing supplies - central belt Scotland
« on: January 19, 2016, 10:41:15 am »
Hi All,

I've made my list of supplies I need for my first lambing season (since I was a kid) and was wondering where the best place to buy it from is. Is there a one stop shop for everything or am I better to get certain things from different places including online? My usual place for things would be the country store at Lanark and I'm also registered at the Clyde Group vets there.

Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

David

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Lambing supplies - central belt Scotland
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2016, 04:28:28 pm »
As well as L&S at the mart, there's also WCF just along from the Tesco entrance. They used to have more of the sort of stuff you might need, although I haven't been in for a while.  What exactly are you looking for?
There are some things you can only get at the vets but most other stuff will come from the agri merchants.   It's worth seeing their prices then checking online, remembering to factor in postage costs, and the value of supporting local vets and shops.
WCF used to do a brilliant sugar corn bucket which was great for just before lambing, but they've discontinued it and I can't find the equivalent anywhere.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

NethertonSH

• Joined May 2015
    • Netherton Smallholding
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2016, 05:07:36 pm »
Hi FW, thanks for the info. I need everything really, tail rings, sprays, needles/syringes, just in case medicines, teats etc. I had a look online and can probably get a lot of the smaller items on there. I'll probably have to go to Lanark for the bigger things like lick buckets and colostrum etc. I guess all the medicines will have to come from the vets.

Looking forward to it all kicking off! Although I'm not sure having a new (human) baby coming at the same time was the best idea. I suppose my paternity leave will be put to good use.

Thanks again.

David

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 06:41:57 pm »
Fleecewife we started using this last season, any good

http://www.strathclydenutrition.com/index.php/Page/product_page/sweet-corn

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2016, 11:38:03 pm »
Thanks Hellybee.  We saw a few months ago that this was available locally, but the only address we could find turned out to be a domestic house  ???  The address on the website sounds far more probable.  We'll see if we can find the place and get some buckets and if it's the same as the old WCF version.  Thanks again  :)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS