Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Minimum stock numbers for breeding  (Read 3647 times)

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
Minimum stock numbers for breeding
« on: January 16, 2016, 01:58:07 pm »
We are thinking of moving on from fattening up bought in weaners to breeding our own. Setting aside issues of costs, what to do with any progeny etc., what is the minimum number of pigs needed that are advisable to keep, including both permutations of keeping or not keeping a breeding boer.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: Minimum stock numbers for breeding
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 02:01:49 pm »
We'll basic biology says 2, 1 male and 1 female...

Anything else is going to be tricky  :-D

Sorry I'm ill in bed and couldn't resist,  I'll let real grown ups answer properly now...

HappyHippy

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 03:44:30 pm »
Whether you keep a boar depends a bit on breed and where your nearest unrelated stud boar would be, if there are none around you that narrows the choices (though you could always buy in-pig sows or gilts and use AI)
To keep a boar working and happy I'd say a minimum of 3 sows (it could be a couple of your own plus stud work) but the more he works the happier he'll be  :thumbsup: Others may have different ideas  ;)
HTH

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 05:47:04 pm »
Accommodation is a consideration.  A sow with piglets will need her own area and if you hire out the boar a quarantine area would be advisable for his return.  If you use a hired boar you'll need to work out dates and book well in advance.   Similarly, if you hire yours out scheduling can be difficult.  I've just had a phone call from someone who wants to hire my boar at the end of January who sounded somewhat miffed when I said that he wouldn't be finished running with my own gilts until April.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 06:32:01 pm »
We are thinking of moving on from fattening up bought in weaners to breeding our own. Setting aside issues of costs, what to do with any progeny etc., what is the minimum number of pigs needed that are advisable to keep, including both permutations of keeping or not keeping a breeding boer.

I wouldn't set aside the "other" issues especially what you will do with the progeny. If you don't have a market for the offspring why would breed? If you currently rear and eat two pigs a year for example and you have a sow that rears you eight twice a year that's a lot of extra to shift. 

At the end of the day the more work you can give a boar the less he actually costs to keep. I disagree with the "more work a boar has the happier he will be". My boar has very little to do really as we never have more than four sows at any one time. He is perfectly content and actually I rather doubt he would be bothered if he had nothing to do. A boar merely reacts to a sow being on heat so if there isn't one on heat near him he's not going to give it a thought.

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 06:39:38 pm »
Thanks for the replies so far. I set aside the "other issues" (which are of course important) to keep comments focused on the particular issue highlighted. If a hired boer is used then the breeding sow will need companions. Can this, for example, be a castrated boer or is the reality that a one breeding sow is not viable and that at least two or needed. Is it the case that you need to keep at least two sows and hire in, or keep separately accommodated when not running with sows, a breeding boer?

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 06:41:01 pm »
Apologies, I keep spelling boar wrong.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 02:16:52 am »
I wouldn't waste money on a castrated boar that you feed, year in, year out.

Work out what two sows would cost you to feed in a year, and research your local market re. demand for weaners and meat. See what the demand is and then see if it's feasible.

If you decide to hire in a boar, bank on paying £50 per sow. AI (if you can do it) will be about £24 per sow.

Spend a bit of time working out your business plan - even if it is, essentially, a hobby - before making a big commitment.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 01:12:30 pm »
16 YRS ago same position we were buying in 3-4 weaners per year feeding on hotel waste etc  selling meat  ,making money  .  SO we decided to buy 3 gilts and a young boar    (  WRONG DECISION FOR US )  space wasn't an issue we have yards /buildings and they ran in forestry , and on the hill behind electric for bracken control .   All went ok selling gilts to other people and meat boxes then we had to stop the waste food and buy more   potatoes/ nuts     at one point we had 23 weaners plus 4 adults to feed           3 other people that had bought gilts off us started trying to sell meat  .    SO 4 YRS ago all pigs were sold eventually (  took  a year )  leaving a financial loss , and we were buying nuts in bulk .  Now gone back to 2 weaners per year :relief:              The 3 people who  tried to compete have sold all their pigs .       WHILE I accept that  you are  in a denser populated area than ARGYLL  I imagine their are more pigs to .         Good Luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS