Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: gilt just farrowed  (Read 4739 times)

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
gilt just farrowed
« on: January 16, 2016, 02:48:22 am »
My Saddleback/ Middle white has just farrowed to my young Mangalitsa boar. Fortunately seem tough as coping well with the current cold spell - always feel toasty warm. Anyone had Mangalitsa crosses before? 

I have another 3 due soon. Hoping I can sell at weaning, but been looking at raising some as suckling pigs as an option. Anyone doing this? What's your experiences like?

Cheers

David

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: gilt just farrowed
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 09:29:24 am »
Were you thinking of the suckling pigs for you or to sell David?

Dispatching a couple at 7 weeks should be good eating though I guess the mangalitza makes them hairy?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 11:10:37 am »
The mixed breed pigs, particularly with a three-way cross, that we see at market are very variable, not only in looks but also conformation. 

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 08:29:29 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I was thinking of sucking pigs to sell. I appreciate comments re desirability of this cross, which is why I thought suckling pigs may be worth a shot. Should raise a bit of cash which I can use to get what I'm left with to bacon / joints/ chops age.

I haven't a clue re hair - first pigs I've bred. They have a slight covering, but whether all piglets do, I've no idea. I don't know what the Mangalitsa inheritance for hair is either.

I hear what you are saying re the 3 way cross. Fortunately the conformation of two of the dams is good. The3rd is not so good and she will be going once narrowed and weaned. What purebred do you recommend crossing a Mangalitsa with?

Cheers

David

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 02:21:44 pm »
Not sure we're you are in the uk but down my way (north west) pig prices are terrible (£2 a weaner in the markets on Monday) I would try sell them private to other small holders but like said before I would guess there going to be very hairy pigs?

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 07:50:00 pm »
County Durham.

I wouldn't even have given selling them at the mart a thought. Plan is to sell privately. Seem to be advertised  £45 - £50 for weaners locally, which is higher than a few months ago. Obviously may not go for that, but price range is a little better than when I bought.

Is the fact they may be hairy an issue? If so, why? I've sent Kune Kunes off previously and their, albeit slightly less hairiness  was not an issue.

Sounds like no one has tried the suckling pig market - keen to hear how people have found it.

Cheers

David

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 09:26:35 pm »
When there killed there take more work to clean an some abbitiors don't like them. Preferred just pink. I've just had 2 litters that have farrowed an they will go as sucklers for the Chinese New Year I get £3 per kilo usually about 10-15 kilo not sure what they will be like this year

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 12:35:37 am »
Damn that's a bit too close for mine, but can see its a good time for selling suckling pig.

Did you get that price direct from the abattoir? Presume no kill / process charge?

Azzdodd

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 08:40:07 am »
I sell private they come take them all at about 3/4 weeks to be honest I got lucky a friend of mine was short one year so sold some for it now they buy of use both. Sows can go back with the boar for litters in summer an piglets fatten well for Xmas 2016

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 08:51:36 am »
Mangalitzas have a reputation for slow growth, laying down fat and small litters.  The opposite of this is probably the Landrace.  Never heard of snyone crossing those two, though!

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 09:20:10 am »
 congrats on the farrowing I hope it all goes well for the other two. I have a friend who crosses mangalitza with middle white, I think it works well as he has done it for years now. Sorry I can't be of more help. All the best and keep us updated? :thumbsup:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 01:49:19 am »
The other two gilts have farrowed now. Disappointingly small litters - both 6. The Kune Kune is due in about 3 weeks so that'll be interesting to see what they are like!

good to hear your friend keeps on crossing the middle white / magalitsa. I shall keep the first sow and repeat that again. The other two sows will go the journey once weaned and probably the Kune.

Does giving them creep feed alter the meat if they are going as suckling pigs?

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 02:15:01 am »
Well, had one killed out last week at 7 weeks. 7.6kg dead weight. Top local Restaurant's Head Chef roasted it today and I was invited in for a tasting. It was a success, will now be in his menu. Taking another, next one will be deboned, rolled and stuffed.

David

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2016, 01:15:03 pm »
David

I have a mangalitza sow and have crossed her with saddleback boar. The offspring are like hairy saddlebacks. Haven't had any issue with abattoir processing and growth wise they're a couple of weeks behind others I have done. You do need to be careful with feed quantities for sure. I have mine running in woodland on a hill which helps keep them fitter. Meat from them I've already processed was very tasty. 
Martha R

david c

• Joined Jun 2013
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2016, 12:56:48 am »
Martha,

My piglets are quarter saddle back. One of the sows is saddle back marked. Virtually all of hers are saddle back marked - most brown and white. The other two have grey back ends. One of them had a couple of saddle back marked piglets.

No problem with the abattoir. Not fatty at all and starting to get hairy.  Good chunky carcass with plenty of flesh on the hams and shoulders. Meat was darker - I'd been told that didn't come through until they were over a year. Every one has been really impressed, tender and very tasty. Mine are in winter quarters at the moment - if they stay will free range them when land dries out a bit. 

Glad to hear others using Mangalitsas .

David

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS