Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: goat pecking (or should it be butting) order  (Read 2168 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
goat pecking (or should it be butting) order
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:27:34 am »
the goats are having the odd argy-bargy of a night in the shed but getting on well all day. the family group of toggenburgs are glued together (mum and 2 castrated boys) and the saanenX mooches along with them. If I take saanenX out for a walk on her lead aroudn the orchard the other bleat for her so obviously miss her and have to be able to see where she goes...

do you think the bickering will calm down? the nanny goes in for a butt when she thinks saanen is not looking and saanen doesn't retaliate at all.
the nanny is 5 and the 3 others 7-8 months old.
thanks
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
Re: goat pecking (or should it be butting) order
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 07:22:33 pm »
The Saanen won't retaliate if she is only 7-8 months old. She knows her place, and that the Toggenburg is boss. The bad news is, that when she gets older and bigger, she will probably start to challenge back, and that may mean a bit more argy bargy! At their previous home, did they all share a shed, or did they have seperate areas?

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 08:08:08 pm »
from what i can gather the 2 boys were kept separate so that mums milk was more plentiful in the morning (for humans) and then the boys took what they wanted after milking and during the day/evening. the 2 girls are apparantly notorius for this head banging. maybe its time to leave the shed door open of a night? if they don't go off and do damage/escape during the day, they won't at night surely? anyone trying to do harm to my goats has to come through my house to get to them so they are 99% safe (I'd hope!)
tony (OH) worries that if it rained or was foul weather, the 3 togs wouldn't let the saanen in the shed though if they were out all night and as such prefers them in but I have seen them all in durin gthe day. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 09:51:39 pm »
So are the males still suckling their mum even though they are 7-8 months? What are your plans for the castrates?

I think it would be fine to leave the shed door open as long as they can't escape or harm the plum trees! If they all go in the shed together during the day then they should let her in if it rains. I maybe wouldn't leave the shed open overnight in the winter, especially if you want one of the females to have kids.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 07:13:16 am »
the males are still suckling - they look to be weaning off though, have only had them all a week and it seems less and less suckling. its been good for me though in  a way while i learn to milk so I know they will strip her if I don't and I am hopefully (!) getting better at it now.
once they are weaned a friend of mine wants a couple of goats to browse some of her 90 acres. she has sheep but they obviously just do the nice grassy bits. my friend is keen to have an animal that is interactive and good for her children too so woudl take the boys from me (thus making room in the shed when I need it for kidding time)
well thats the plan anyway!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS