Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: raising chicks without a broody - equipment?  (Read 2497 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
raising chicks without a broody - equipment?
« on: January 20, 2016, 06:54:00 am »
I nearly always have hens going broody but am thinking of raising some from day one myself for a change as I don't currently have a cockerel and want to try some different breeds.

So, for day olds Inside to going outdoors in separated runs and eventually free range when big enough, I need secure catproof spaces, a source of heat Initially, obviously, but what else?

What kind of heater do i start with indoors and then in a pen in the garage as they grow, and any recommended source/brand?  How long do they need the heat level of a broody age wise or is it just weather related when they can cope?

I've had hens 6 years and only twice raised chicks, always via a broody, usually buying in at 15-26 weeks or occasionally taking in older as rehome or rescue birds even bhwt birds once.  But this is a new venture so I'd appreciate your experience over internet reading, tho I will research too.

PS on a shoestring budget here so nothing extravagant in lifestyle accessories and colour schemes please, more basics preferred but I reckon a decent heat is top priority to avoid losses.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: raising chicks without a broody - equipment?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 07:52:37 am »
Hi Ellie,

I'd recommend you get an electric hen type heat pad, rather than any sort of lamp.

They're not cheap to buy, but you'll save a fortune in running costs since they work on contact (just like a broody hen) rather than by radiant heat like a lamp. Generally I just leave them with the heater until they start sleeping elsewhere!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 09:19:34 am »
Hi there.... this is from an earlier post I did.... hope it helps![/size]
I have in the past brooded small numbers under an ordinary light bulb in a cardboard box in the house.  However I am not sure if this would work with modern energy saving bulbs.  I simply taped down one top flap of the box and fitted a lamp fitting through a hole in this flap.  The other half of the box had a wire grid above it and the food and water were in this side.  I have reared at least 2 broods successfully .... one of quail and one of bantams, any questions come back to me.
[/size][/font]

Rosie posie

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 10:51:21 am »
If you have hens that regularly go broody, you could of course buy in the eggs and put them under her. She will still hatch them just the same, and will have no idea they aren't hers  ;D

mentalmilly

• Joined Nov 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 03:41:44 pm »
l do the same as Rosie, use a broody hen, she does all the work and you can put any eggs you like under her.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 05:39:38 pm »
Broodies are best.  I prefer an infra red lamp to an electic brooder, as I can more easily spot any chicks having problems and also by the time they're a couple of weeks old they perch on top of the e.b. and it gets filthy.  I raise them in a big cardboard box with the lamp to one side so they can get away from the heat if they want - the size under the counter fridges come in is ideal.  Line the bottom with an old split feed sack and shavings.  I use dedicated chick drinkers and feeders - the sort with a grid on top to stop them pooping in the chick crumbs.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 06:08:31 pm »
I would just slip some bought in eggs (try not to get eggs through the post, I never had much success with them) under a broody, far better and much less hassle! I lost my lovely broody hen yesterday thanks to the fox… not sure what I'm going to do this year hatching out duck eggs  :( :-[

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 09:07:53 pm »
I'm grateful for the heat source ideas, will look at both thanks.

I've done broody reared but this project is not hatching my own or bought eggs, they're day old chicks of breeds I want and sexed before arrival with a reported 99% accuracy according to another of their customers I met last year.  They buy different breeds to what I want, mostly leghorns, so we can get joint delivery and I pick my own breeds from what is available.  Minimum orders makes this good for both of us and I hope to sell on my spares as growers or pol and see if that works out better than having just one egg hatch or only boys I can't eat and have to give away to someone that might.

It would be great to slip chicks under a hen that has sat on eggs just the right time but sods law suggests that unlikely so I need a heated rearing pen of some kind.  Boxes I have, and an internal garage walled pen and an outdoor run in turn.
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 12:43:40 pm »
I used a plastic storage box with heat lamp above, in my garden shed (did once have ducklings in a kids paddling pool in our hallway but won't go there again!), then put them out in a small house and run once old enough… i didn't hatch until later though so the time they spent under heat was greatly reduced. I did once use a pet safe heat pad that goes in the microwave which they migrated to at night, that worked quite well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS