Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Renting out Yurt on Smallholding  (Read 9243 times)

Scorzeze

• Joined Apr 2015
Renting out Yurt on Smallholding
« on: January 13, 2016, 01:56:06 pm »
I'm thinking of buying a Yurt and renting this out on my Smallholding to tourists, does anyone have any experience of this or similar?

Thanks

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Renting out Yurt on Smallholding
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 02:24:45 pm »
A friend of mine runs a glamping business with yurts. Google Acorn Glade

Scorzeze

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 02:40:39 pm »
Thanks for that, the site looks great.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 03:07:17 pm »
You would need to register your business with your council and notify the planning dept of your intention. If you are lucky they will be very helpful. The locals may ave concerns though depending on how nice your neighbours are. If there is any vulnerable wildlife you may have your work cut out but its definitely worth a go.

they got their yurt made in Wales and they have to be taken down in autumn, dried and stored for spring.

They also have a block for catering and showers etc so you might want to weigh up the cost v income.....

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2016, 03:13:26 pm »
Think you will have planning issues
Different circumstances but here is a planning decision to give you a idea what planning officers and planning inspectors  concerns are

There is a appeal in for one for residential use up the road from me, will post decision its due anytime inspector made visit same day as my appeal

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 03:31:43 pm »
It's not just the yurt - what about parking, sanitation, fresh water supply, health & safety, access.    ?  We have a holiday cottage on the farm and have to have an access statement, health & safety assessment, fire risk assessment and £5 million pounds' worth of indemnity.

honeyend

• Joined Oct 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2016, 12:03:35 am »
I have smallholder insurance that covers so many tents. Under the 28 day rule you can have tents for so many days,https://www.pitchup.com/how-start-campsite-caravan-park/
 Looking a the yurts they seem very expensive for what they are, but so are the shepherds huts which to me are just a shed on wheels.
  When mu husband has the time and the inclination we are converting a vintage horsebox.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2016, 07:19:13 am »
I personally think the glamping bubble will burst fairly soon .... so would be very wary of the large investment in a yurt ... work out realistically how long in would take to break into any profit after paying for Yurt, contents, and all the other stuff indicated above.   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 03:14:20 pm »
We put up five yurts from End of may til October.  They put away to keep them tip top, they are very popular.  We don't do the high end glamping thing but more of a half way house between that and camping.  Lightly dressed, so visitors have plenty of space for they're own stuff.  We have a five year old shower block, still looks mint, we  have many compliments about it. 

Insurance a must, be ten steps ahead of your visitors, think as a visitor when setting up  surroundings, maybe get a friend to do practice run, to see what works best.   Also many people decide on a site depending on the shower/toilet facilities.

Lastly, if any animals graze on same land, they have to be off for at least six weeks prior to human usage, because of Coliforms sp?   E coli risk.

Look into air bnb. Really simple back end for booking and they only take £2 per booking!

Good luck, its a great experience, ive met people from all over the world because of it, and made some friends too.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2016, 03:26:56 pm by Hellybee »

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2016, 03:30:23 pm »
I get calls from pitch up, I find them pushy.

I rate uk campsites, an old site, lots of traffic, good for checking reviews.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2016, 09:53:09 pm »
Quite a good article here :-

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/smallbusiness/article-2499826/How-profit-trend-quirky-B-Bs-make-money-shed.html

At worst they can tell you to take it down or you annoy your neighbours.

Look into tipi's they are 20% of the price.

TA

Barry

Scorzeze

• Joined Apr 2015
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 09:15:24 am »
Hellybee,

Did you need planning permission for your yurts?

Thanks

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 10:50:42 am »
morning!

The land has had change of use for many years, so once we improved to a high standard we got licence this  allows us to use the land as we see fit for our camping business. The yurt bases are wooden so can be removed if required but they stay put as parks don't mind them, they are pretty inobtrusive.  We have four acres under our licence.  If we want to use extra fields ie for scouts etc we would have to then use the 28 days notice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS