Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Countdown to farrowing  (Read 4883 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Countdown to farrowing
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 08:07:28 am »
No not my old wooden hurdles for a feed creep Sophie ;D  I was going to use a metal one to create a corner for the heat lamp. I think your IBC container crates are a great idea but havent tracked one down yet.

I may not need anti roll gear for a 24 inch high Kune with a stable to herself but you never know when its the first time do you. Next time will be easier. I will pm you for pics

Marches- thanks for the afterbirth tip......does it come from experience perhaps..... ;)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 09:04:28 am »
It was Sophie's tip, and it's a good one.  We have disposable gloves and an old feed bag on hand for just that reason.  I recently heard from a lady who bought one of our boars last year and the first litter he sired was 19 healthy piglets but the sow (a Landrace X) managed to lie on or tread on 10 of them. 

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 09:48:38 am »
Sorry Marches, yes I use a feed sack too. But what do you do with the AB?

Are some breeds a bit more prone to standing or laying on them do you think or is it just the luck of the draw? Almost half a litter must be very upsetting but then do some animals that have multiple offspring do so because the mortality rate is higher? Being a kune she isnt as big and heavy as some breeds but I suppose it has more to do with being careful. I am expecting between 8 and 12 piglets for her first litter and a smaller number would be just fine.

Killing them isnt ideal but I realise its an occupational hazard so I'm not too concerned about it. I just dont want any harm to come to them from my ignorance.

Happy Hippy - here she is having her tummy rub training as you suggested ;) [size=78%] [/size]

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2016, 02:04:24 pm »
One of my Kune sows was a  good mother but the other one was exceptional!  She would build a straw house in her ark for her babies, a bit like a bee skep and shepherd them into it. She would roar loudly at any other pig who went near but welcomed dogs and children. Before lying down she would nose around in the straw around the "house" making sure all the piglets were safely inside.
azx\\\z\\aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2016, 03:34:13 pm »
We have an old oil drum with holes punched in the sides and burn the afterbirth.

HappyHippy

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2016, 04:21:28 pm »
Don't count on a small litter  ;)
A gilt I bred and sold on recently had her first litter - 13 piglets!  :o
AND all 13 survived til weaning (which is quite unusual considering how small some of them were) it's testament to the sows mothering abilities and the new owners efforts  :thumbsup:

Tamsaddle

• Joined May 2011
  • Hampshire, near Portsmouth
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2016, 04:28:08 pm »
This is one of the creep boxes I knocked up for our piglets.   If necessary, screwed them on to floor below.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2016, 04:49:24 pm »
Oh thats a simple idea Tams,

Im sure we could knock something like that up.

13 piglets gulp :o  I am not expecting to sell any so that's me sorted for pork for a few years :P

Poor Beryl...her lady parts will never be the same again. :eyelashes:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS