Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Lamb not eating concentrate  (Read 3186 times)

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
Lamb not eating concentrate
« on: January 12, 2016, 09:45:14 am »
Have a Castlemilk Moorit lamb from last year, when l call the rest of the flock to come for their feed she just stands at a distance watching ? The couple of times she has come over to the feeders she just eats the grass by the feeder not the feed ? Have seen her eating hay from the feeder. Farmer friend recons she hasnt had a taste of the feed so doesnt know what shes missing ?  Havent been able to catch her to check her teeth, its on the list for the weekend. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced this with their sheep ?
I know she doesnt need it being a primative but l like them to get a good feed when the weather turns bad.
They have a mineral lick in the field too. :sheep:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Lamb not eating concentrate
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 10:26:48 am »
Yes, I have one born last March who has never shown an interest in creep. They were all introduced to it as lambs but she just isnt fussed for it.

I have just started feeding my pregnant ewes who are coming up to lambing and last years ewe lambs get fed too. The other ewe lambs are very hungry for it but this girl still isnt keen. She was a big single and is a stocky girl so I dont think she has a problem eating.

She did decide to go under the electric fence one day to join the ram though and she must have been cycling as she had a well raddled rump by the time I spotted her so I had planned to feed her as in lamb but she has other ideas. My ewes get a lovely molassed coarse mix. Its so tasty even the cats nibble it but it still dosent tempt her.

I wouldnt worry too much about it. She could easily manage without feed as she has hay and an energy lick and isnt gestating. Curious though isnt it?

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 10:29:04 am »
Many thanks Buffy, puts my mind at rest  :thumbsup:

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 11:20:44 am »
same here, have one currently who just doesn't want to eat the hard stuff. Shes healthy
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 11:25:16 am »
Many thanks , will catch her and check her teeth just to be sure  :thumbsup:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 11:32:27 am »
Yes do but if it was tooth problems I think she would be trying to eat and then shaking her head or pulling back if it caused pain. She would be showing signs of wanting to go to it but being wary.

Im guessing that she isnt doing that? I wondered if it was something to do with taste or smell. Mine also get carrots at this time of year which she will nibble at just not concentrates.

Let us know if you discover the root of it.

fiestyredhead331

• Joined Sep 2012
  • NW Highlands
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 12:23:37 am »
my dad always recommended shutting any like that in a pen with nothing but concentrate until she had to eat it and then she'd be fine and would eat it anytime, sounds harsh but I have done it with a couple of lambs last year.
I have a wee Boreray lamb who comes to the gate for her handful of feed morning and night but she only picks at it for a couple of minutes then goes off to the hay but its part of her daily routine  ::)
keeper of goats, sheep, pigs, ducks, chickens, turkeys, dogs, cats, goldfish and children, just don't ask me which is the most work!

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 09:03:47 am »
Well, moved  the lamb not eating the creep and her chums into seperate paddock so less competition for the food.
Couldnt see any issues with teeth or jaw, good body score, all round bonnie lamb so lm not worried now  :thumbsup:

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 09:28:14 am »
Ditto. I have one who shows no interest in concentrates or the lick. She's keeping up with the others so not a problem. Her Mothers the same, hangs off the rest of the flock, so maybe there's an influence there.
Don't worry about it as long as she's doing well. (cheap to keep as well)!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS