Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Running out of grass quickly but ewes not keen eating hay from ring feeder  (Read 4872 times)

Shepni

• Joined Jan 2016
I have a fairly high density of ewe lambs on a large paddock which is now really muck with very little grass at all, I am supplementing then maybe three times a week with pellets but I have lots of hay.  Unfortunately it has been stored outdoors but it's big bales and I have horses that clear it happily.  I bought a ring feeder last week and am trying to encourage ewes to use it but they are only picking at it.  Anyone have any tricks to encourage or are they still just getting enough to do them???

Tim W

• Joined Aug 2013
They will eat it when they get hungry  :)

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
Can you buy a small bale from another source just to make sure it's not your hay they don't like?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Presume you've taken the outside layer off and if it's good inside?
I thought mine had plenty of grass but they're waiting for their haylage every evening.

Coximus

• Joined Aug 2014
Mine had access to full hayfeeders from Nov onwards, they didnt touch it until the grass quality dropped off and ground went wet at xmas... They picked at it, and now they're eating a Quad a week for 60 being fed at the mo. Their is about 3 inches grass left - they did reject some small bale stuff tho, so it could just be an off bale, not to the taste they like.

Oddly they clean out the horses straw bedding if they can get to the field shelter.....

shotblastuk

• Joined May 2013
  • Proper Gloucestershire !!
'Oddly they clean out the horses straw bedding if they can get to the field shelter.....'

That's because you don't want them to eat it. typical sheep!! ; :roflanim:

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
My sheep are more fussy than the horses we have here.  They won't eat dusty or smelly hay, unless they are literally dying of starvation.  Try just giving them the core of the bales and see if they will take that.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
I agree with the other comments and if it looks and smells ok to you then they can't want it. My sheep certainly eat more on cold, wet days. If they are in good condition they are fine. Have they got a lick? A few wet days and falling temperatures can soon knock condition off.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
If they take in too much soil due to cropping the grass very short they may take up minerals that will inhibit the uptake of copper, which can cause swayback in the lambs.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
The only question you need to ask yourself is.

If I was a sheep would I eat it ?

Bad time of year for them to lose condition.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Running out of grass quickly but ewes not keen eating hay from ring feeder
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 04:40:42 pm »
If they take in too much soil due to cropping the grass very short they may take up minerals that will inhibit the uptake of copper, which can cause swayback in the lambs.

..and greying of dark fleece.  Also weakening of wool fibres.  Obviously swayback is more important, but the greying of fleece can be used as an early check for imbalances, so you can treat before any swayback lambs are born.

Mole hills tend to cause the sheep to eat too much soil, with attendant mineral imbalances, and are the culprit in some cases of listeriosis.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS