Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: An interesting hay feeder idea  (Read 5742 times)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
An interesting hay feeder idea
« on: January 09, 2016, 11:00:11 pm »
I was looking online for gate-hung hay feeder designs, and came upon this:

Yes I know they're charging £180 :roflanim: for a pair of wheelie bins with holes cut out of them, but what do you all think?  Would it actually work? 

I worry that the sheep would just pull big chunks of hay out through the holes and then waste it (That could be overcome by strapping some 3x3 weldmesh inside). However, would the  hay above fall down properly as the stuff below is used up I wonder?

"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: An interesting hay feeder idea
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2016, 08:26:24 pm »
I've tried this with a big blue barrel (slightly smaller holes though) ... the biggest problem was getting the hay to fall down evenly. :(

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 10:32:23 pm »
How about a large dalek style compost bin? Or would the hay fall down too easily and cause problems?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 10:56:48 pm »

With the wheelie bin being wider at the top than at the bottom, the hay would not fall down.  Unless the bin was tied to something, then the sheep would tip it over, the lid would open, the rain and sheep would get in.  We tried all sorts of things before we bit the bullet and bought proper hecks - never looked back  :farmer:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

marka

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Moray, NE Scotland
  • www.facebook.com/WellsideCroft
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 09:27:19 am »
We use a frame from an IBC tank with 2 pallets stood up in the middle to form an inverted triangle - this creates 2 sections where the slope of the pallet allows the hay to slide down as the sheep eat it through the bars but still allows feeding from all 4 sides.

The frame is stable enough that the sheep cannot move it about but its also easy for 2 of us to move it around the field or lift into a trailer for longer moves.

Regards
Castlemilk Moorit sheep and Belted Galloway cattle, plus other hangers on.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 10:32:11 am »
Whenever I see them advertised ( they have been a round a while ) they are used for horses. My concern is the same as yours and everyone else's.

I think you could invent something better ( and cheaper ) Womble. With pregnant sheep my main concern is that they all have easy access to a steady supply of dry hay and so far I cant find a better solution than the covered metal hay feeder on wheels.

Having said that though I realise that you were looking for over the gate feeders and although I have a few I am not as happy with their performance so I am still in search of new ideas. So if you come up with something to solve that problem please let me know.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 10:47:32 pm »
Thanks for the comments folks. The IBC cage idea is a good one!

Actually though, I went out at the weekend to buy a 2nd hand creep feeder (I would have loved to have made one but am very short of time just now), and also came back with an old 8ft wheeled hay rack, with cast iron wheels no less! It's definitely a fixer-upper, but with a bit of welding should be good for a decade or two!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 03:20:19 pm by Womble »
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 02:57:12 pm »
Cage great idea.   

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 04:57:59 pm »
I use IBC cages because you can get them for free. Nobody has much use for an old leaky IBC so I have had a lot of success asking for them on Freegle
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 05:30:49 pm »
It is certainly an ingenious idea, apart from a few slight flaws. A the price ( a little expensive, you may or may not disagree with me on that one) and 2 what would happen if it was windy, how could you secure it up and also make sure the sheep could still get to it. Here is my idea..... Suppose one of us designs an easy to open up plastic box, not entirely sure what the weight would be just yet..... but this box could be attached to a fence, again not sure how, and it would be easy to fill and easy to get at in all weathers. Maybe someone could improve on this idea for me? What do you all think? A bit vague I know. :(
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS