Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land improvement and flooding  (Read 5608 times)

ramon

• Joined Feb 2014
Re: Land improvement and flooding
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2016, 11:44:14 pm »
It seems that there is no legislation requiring farmers to manage the land to prevent flooding, even of neighbouring properties ( in Scotland). 
Having read Scarlet Dragon's story I suppose I should be glad that my neighbour hasn’t objected to me digging up part of his field to divert the water away from the house.

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2016, 07:13:15 pm »
The one thing we have done to help is plant over 100 willow trees. My bottom paddock used to be very bad every winter but now much improved. I also have other trees planted were ever I can find space.

Izzy

• Joined May 2009
  • Stirlingshire
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 01:52:55 pm »
I know I am a bit thick but I don't understand how dredging prevents flooding. If you dredge an estuary surely the volume from which sludge/sand/silt has been removed just fills with sea? Or did dredging in the past occur above the tidal range of big rivers like the Avon, Tees etc?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2016, 02:54:27 pm »
Don't forget, too, how much water people use which goes into the sewage and eventually the river system.  Used to be folks bathed once a week (my grandmother was one of 15 and the children used the same bathwater, starting with the youngest!)  The washing was boiled up in a copper, which had to be filled by hand, emptied by hand then refilled by hand for rinsing.   Now we have folks staying in the farm holiday cottage who complain when the hot water tank runs cold - it's twice the normal domestic size and it always turns out they were in the shower for 20 minute (I could bathe an elephant in less time than that).   Washing up was done in one bowl of water - no idea how much a dishwasher uses - our water goes into a Bioplus system which doesn't work with dishwasher salt so we still clean dishes the old-fashioned way.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2016, 03:47:28 pm »
Don't forget, too, how much water people use which goes into the sewage and eventually the river system.  Used to be folks bathed once a week (my grandmother was one of 15 and the children used the same bathwater, starting with the youngest!)  The washing was boiled up in a copper, which had to be filled by hand, emptied by hand then refilled by hand for rinsing.   Now we have folks staying in the farm holiday cottage who complain when the hot water tank runs cold - it's twice the normal domestic size and it always turns out they were in the shower for 20 minute (I could bathe an elephant in less time than that).   Washing up was done in one bowl of water - no idea how much a dishwasher uses - our water goes into a Bioplus system which doesn't work with dishwasher salt so we still clean dishes the old-fashioned way.
yep, plus the rainwater hitting roofs that is never collected for plant watering or loo flushing and it just goes down the drains, and the water that runs off all those concreted driveways ....
it's been raining here for two months solid now (only 4 non-rain days during nov & dec).  What gets my goat the people who don't bother to keep their local drain grates clear, and then moan that the roads are flooded and it's pouring into their house.  Some might say it's the council's responsibility but I don't, they can't be everywhere all the time; if it affects you then you should do something about it.  I always kick them clear whenever I walk past one that is blocked.
Everyone needs to realise that they can each do something to help with things like this, even if only small things, it all adds up.  Maybe the water board should turn off the mains water for one day a week - that might teach people to use it more wisely!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS