Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: weaning donkey foals  (Read 9249 times)

maddy

• Joined Jul 2012
weaning donkey foals
« on: January 07, 2016, 08:22:08 am »
Can anyone give me advice on the best way to wean my 2 (just six months old) miniature donkey foals from their mums. 

They are eating hay and drinking water but also occasionally feed from their mums.

As soon as they are weaned they are going to a new home together.

Is it best to take them away from mums or mums away from foals?  Or could I do it gradually just separating them into a pen next to mums at night and then together in the day?

Is there anything I can give them homeopathically that will reduce the stress and upset.

This is the bit I find most difficult.  I am tougher with goats and sheep at weaning but this is a first for the donkeys.

Thanks

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: weaning donkey foals
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2016, 10:28:44 am »
They will, of course, wean themselves eventually but, if you have a home for them I would send them off. They will call for each other as all animals do for a while and then accept. The babies will have each other so will be fine and the mares will comfort each other.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 11:09:58 am »
Devonlady has said it all perfectly. It's easier to move young ones than the gennies .

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:05:46 pm »
I bet they are so cute. Piccies?

Yes, always move the mothers. Ideally bring them all into somewhere secure and take the mothers away. I think a clean break is best as if you separate and keep putting them back together you are creating the idea that at some point they will be back together.

It is good you have two as they have each other as Devonlady said.

I wouldn't put the mothers in the field next to your drive (if that's the case) as they might try to follow the trailer.

Plan everything and it will be fine.

Aconite spray is a homeopathic remedy for stress and you can give it to the donkeys too!

sheepandponies

• Joined Nov 2009
  • Galston
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 07:55:20 am »
Take the dams away from the foals so you can leave the foals in the same field/environment that they are used to.  You could house the dams as you need to dry off the milk, so just hay.  As the foals are used to hard feed start to give them this in 2-3 small feeds (worth buying youngstock feed rather than pony nuts).  The foals will call for their dams but pop some diversions such as toys/sheep in with them.  If weather is wet, house them at night.  I wean foals every year and dont have any problems.  Hope they are off to a lovely home. Good luck  :thumbsup:

ladyK

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Conwy Valley
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:43:31 am »
Lots of good advice here  :thumbsup:
Ignatia is a good option to help with emotional stress and grief, like weaning, separation and new environments.
"If one way is better than another, it is the way of nature." (Aristotle)

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2016, 10:44:32 am »
Lots of good advice here  :thumbsup:
Ignatia is a good option to help with emotional stress and grief, like weaning, separation and new environments.

If you think they are ready to be separated from their mothers, then what's to stop you just sending them off?
Both mothers and offspring will be just as upset on initial separation wherever they are, so you might as well have them out of sight and sound of each other.
I personally don't sell my donkey foals before about 9 months as I find they learn a lot about social interaction etc from their mothers and the rest of the herd and to me they are still babies at 5 or 6 months of age. I do not actively wean them, but leave them with their mothers till I decide to sell them. But that's just my opinion.   

As mentioned, it will be considerably less traumatic for your 2 as they have each other for company, and the use of Ignatia should certainly help.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

shygirl

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 04:35:19 pm »
natural weaning worked best for us with our ponies. grass is coming soon so they will be drinking less. ours self weaned by 10 mths. unless you have a reason to wean them ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS