Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: our first chick  (Read 5888 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: our first chick
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2010, 12:51:02 pm »
 :D  Yes, thats the usual way to milk a goat.  I suppose you could milk one side and then run round the goat and do the other ......be warned, its not easy when you first learn to milk, some goats do not let their milk down, and then its twice as hard. 

You need to visit another  goat keeper nearby who has a very quiet, patient goat, and its better then - the goat owner can show you how its done, and let you have a go.  It needs to be done properly, as otherwise, it can cause the goat pain, and she will not stand still for you, and also if not fully milked out, mastitis and other horrible things.

Keep those questions coming - I love them.  I love your enthusiasm too ....you deserve to succeed with your eagerness to learn everything about smallholding!!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: our first chick
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2010, 01:10:32 pm »
if you are ever in the worcestershire area you can borrow my goat to practise on!! she's been brilliant, so patient. I've never milked a goat (apart from a GG at follys farm, wales who is so obviously brought out and the kids do it every day!)
this lovely girl has stood there since monday letting me get to grips (so to speak!)
I can't do two hands at once, mainly because she'll kick the bucket the minute i do  ::)  oops, just re-read that (I mean literally not metaphorically, I hope!!)
I do a mixture of this teat then that teat and have found it easier with my left hand for some reason?

the let down seems to take about 10 seconds. today I got a full milk pan (just as well, my children are requesting more than we had earlier!)

its great fun, really glad we have the girls and boys now 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS