Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: ovulation cycle for pigs please  (Read 2280 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
ovulation cycle for pigs please
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:28:57 pm »
I had worked out from my sows last season that she was due to cycle over the period of the 8th,9th and 10th and borrowed a boar on the 2nd. on the 4th she was clearly telling him he was on a promise and that it would be soon but not just yet, on the 5th she was circling around him and standing alongside him facing the opposite way and today she had tell tale dirty marks on her sides.

So my questions are,

Have I got my dates wrong?

Is she likely to mate in the days before / after her ovulation?

Can the presence of a boar stimulate oestrus in a sow regardless of where she is in her cycle?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: ovulation cycle for pigs please
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 07:39:30 pm »

Maybe
no definitely not
Yes .... commercial units put sow with or next to boar to stimulate....
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 07:44:33 pm »
So does that mean that today is the day then? Or will she be mated again if she is in oestrus for a day or so?

I'm thinking piglets at the end of April then?

SophieYorkshire

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 09:39:06 am »
I put sows and gilts in with my boar before they come in heat to encourage them on. Farmers tale for rushing them into cycling is to give a drop of cod liver.

Today could be the day, or yesterday could have been. He will likely serve her more than once if he's worth his salt :)

If she's served today she'd be due 1st May  :pig: :pig:

In my experience, like humans, sows are not exactly every 3 weeks and some are a few days short, some a few days long.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 10:00:32 am »
I agree.  Pigs are no more "regular" than human females. The boar may well have mated her several times when you spotted the marks on her flanks and will continue to do so for as long as she'll stand for him. 

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 02:10:40 pm »
She was standing today, back arched but he was too busy grunting at my rams in a near by field, frothing and pawing the ground  ::)

She nudged him in the balls and he nudged her sides and then she stuck her bum in his face. Talk about on a plate......he just frothed and sniffer her and grunted then they both toddled off ???

I have read that they cycle between 18 and 24 days so this oestrus would be 18 days from the last one. Perhaps she has a shorter cycle or maybe the boar brought her cycle forward. Any way she seems much more up for it than he is. He is a boar that cant be rushed ;)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 01:45:23 pm »
I'm so sorry folks, I keep seeing this thread go by and thinking it's a Wanted ad. I'm picturing some sort of exercise bike for sows that brings them into heat.  Am I wrong?  :innocent:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 02:04:57 pm »
Ha ha! Thats just your crack pot inventor streak getting the better of you....It is quite a good idea though if only I could get a big enough saddle. ;D

And there's me trying really hard to write to come up with a descriptive title that dosent waste the time of the genuinely disinterested.....looks like I failed ::) [size=78%]  [/size]

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS