Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Watch Out for Pneumonia  (Read 3148 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Watch Out for Pneumonia
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:19:44 am »
'Orrible weather here in recent weeks - heavy rain, fog, colder nights, high winds.  In the last week we've spotted two in-lamb ewes sitting quietly under the hedge for rather too long and not moving when we went up to them.  The first also had her ears right down so we got her in the shed with a pal and gave her a/bs and she perked up very quickly and is now back out again.  Spotted the second at dusk last night and did the same but this morning she was breathing very heavily so just given her some Metacam too.  Vet says there's a lot of it about - you have been warned.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Watch Out for Pneumonia
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 11:25:02 am »
Thanks for the heads up  :thumbsup:

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 11:42:45 am »
Its been a terrible winter so far especially for respiratory illnesses. Wet, humid for the most part and no sun for days on end. My lot seem thoroughly dejected but do at least have a dry, well ventilated shed to retreat to when the weather gets beyond a joke.

I start feeding this weekend so hopefully that will cheer them up a little bit. Low spirits lead to a low immune system. I cant wait for all this horrible wet and stormy stuff to pass.

Good job you spotted them.  :thumbsup: [size=78%] [/size]

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 05:14:52 pm »
Sleet here today and more forecast for tonight. Scanner came in yesterday and said the second ewe, which seems much improved, was carrying twins but he didn't like the look of them.  As she's 60 to 79 days pregnant we're working on the assumption she'll miscarry rather than reabsorb and have her penned in the shed.   Keeping up the a/bs just in case.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 10:54:07 am »
Oh thats a shame Marches  :hug:

do you think the dead lambs compromised her immune system and made her susceptible to the pneumonia?

poor girl.

The sleet has been replaced by frost and sunshine here, hope you have the same. :)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 11:07:34 am »
do you think the dead lambs compromised her immune system and made her susceptible to the pneumonia?

I'm inclined to think the pneumonia compromised the lambs as she's still quite early on in the pregnancy.  We've no abortion agents in the flock and she was Heptavac'd up-to-date.  If there's no show of uterine contents I'll feed her along with the others and keep my fingers crossed, although our scanner is very experienced and has always been spot on.

Cold and bright here today but yet more rain forecast.... Ho, hum. 

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS