Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Possibly pregnant pony  (Read 4342 times)

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
Possibly pregnant pony
« on: January 05, 2016, 09:03:58 pm »
Bought a little Welsh Sec A from the sales before Christmas as a companion pony. She looked well and a bit round in the belly, but as an ex-broodmare I didn't think much of it.  Had her in today to find she's getting a bag and you can express milk!  :o

The seller was one of these rough wide-boy types, but I found she also went through the ring in May 2015 sold by a reputable Sec A breeder, who I've since been in touch with.  I'll get the vet out to PD her, but I'm very concerned about not knowing when she may foal.  I've "done" foaling before, but have always had far more idea when things were likely to happen.  The milk is what concerns me: in my experience that means imminent arrival of foal, but I'd be surprised to find she, being native pony, was covered in December/January and also surprised that if she was, the breeder didn't realise whe she was sold in May.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Possibly pregnant pony
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2016, 09:05:54 pm »
Jings. Bogoff  :)

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 09:24:08 pm »
I thought milk n a mare meant baby was imminent ......

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2016, 09:30:06 pm »
I thought milk n a mare meant baby was imminent ......

It does...

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2016, 09:36:25 pm »
So did I. But her teats are still turned in rather than out and although round, she does't look as though she is going to split at any moment so I'm hoping she has a way to go yet. The milk does confuse me, but have read that some broodmares run milk all the time, so maybe that's it.

Rosemary, I already have a Bogof: a lamb from a gimmer hog last year!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2016, 09:45:58 pm »
I bought a mare, trekked all summer and got fatter and fatter. Looked like she would pop at Christmas. Wasn't keen on vets so I didn't want to put her through that so got an old horseman to take a look. He said yes she looks imminent but you wont get a Christmas foal. He was right she foaled in the April. Big colt.

I'm sure you will but keep us posted!!

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 09:51:16 pm »
I will. 

I'm trying very hard not to impersonate Corporal Jones from Dad's Army at the moment.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 11:12:23 pm »
I've just spoken to the nice breeder who tells me catagorically that she was never covered in 2015 because (and this is why he sold her) she hates foals and getting her to accept them is a complete nightmare.

At least I can be pretty certain that she won't foal before April now, at the earliest, as he sold her in May. I'll get the vet out to PD and see what can be done from there.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2016, 09:08:52 am »
If she does foal don't be surprised if it is a mule.  I have found ex broodmares often come into milk when on a rising plane of nutrition, spring grass being the most common thing.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2016, 04:32:05 pm »
She's probably getting better food than she did previously, yes.

Why do you think it may be a mule??

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2016, 05:05:26 pm »
The type of person you bought her off sounds the type to have a few donkeys about.

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 10:32:47 am »
Very useful animals, mules.

Hevxxx99

• Joined Sep 2012
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2016, 11:49:35 pm »
Small pony and very large vet meant getting a blood test done:  She isn't pregnant (hoorah!) but still there is the worrying question of why she has such a big tum and milk.  :thinking:

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2016, 10:22:53 am »
Hormone imbalance? X

roddycm

• Joined Jul 2013
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2016, 10:33:14 am »
Phantom pregnancy?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS