Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hatching eggs  (Read 1450 times)

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
Hatching eggs
« on: January 16, 2016, 12:37:21 pm »
I've just been asked this question and I do not know the answer.

Can you use the first eggs that come (so POL) as hatching eggs
The question was asked as these eggs are not so good to sell on.
Will be birds that come from them be smaller or normal ?
Is the egg as fertile when young ?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: Hatching eggs
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 01:13:03 pm »
The early eggs are usually smaller so if incubated the chick doesn't have as much space to develop as it needs according to its breed.
That's what I was always told anyway (but then some of ours laid whoppers of eggs from day one).

Why aren't they as good to sell on?

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 03:19:14 pm »
No reason they shouldn't be fertile but you will probably get a lot of cockerels hatch from smaller eggs. An old wive's tale but one that I have found to be true. Pick nice big, round eggs and you get more hens.

Secondly, there is some evidence that diseases are more easily passed on through eggs laid from hens which haven't gone through a moult (about 18 months).

http://www.thecuckoopoultrystudofaustralia.com/lymphoid-leukosis-ndash-avian-the-wasting-disease.html

Personally we only hatch from hens in their 2nd or 3rd year unless it's a very rare breed or excellent specimen and we want to get chicks ASAP.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 03:28:44 pm »
According to the Katie Thear book you shouldn't hatch any egg that is less than 60g, I have always followed that. Not had any problem with eggs from hens in their first year, the only year we had mostly cockerel hatching were when our hens were quite old.... so I now prefer to hatch from 1st and 2nd year only.

AndynJ

• Joined Sep 2010
  • uk
  • Says it as it is. don't like it don't look
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 06:12:20 pm »
Wow thank you for those answers, I think I will choose my eggs more carefully from now on as well

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS