Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Orf: should I be telling my neighbours  (Read 1682 times)

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
Orf: should I be telling my neighbours
« on: January 04, 2016, 02:04:25 pm »
New to sheep and now they have orf.  Don't know the etiquette here: do I tell mt neighbours or will they just think Im mad for telling them???

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Orf: should I be telling my neighbours
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 02:13:53 pm »
What's between your neighbour's land and yours?  If it's fence and a good hedge, or a stone wall, the chance of orf being transferred across is miniscule.

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 02:23:18 pm »
To the south there is a clear 30m of ungrazed land between our sheep and a neighbour.  To the north and east there are just sheep netting fences.  To the west: 40 miles of sea until you hit the Isle of Man (don't think this one will be an issue).

Thing is, I don't want to look a nana for ringing them up but want to give them the opportunity to move their sheep if it's a problem.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 02:34:38 pm »
It may well be that's where yours is coming from.... but I don't have direct sheep-keeping neighbours, so can't really advise.

But really orf is just like Herpes in humans (same family of virus), you get it, live with it for a while and it will go away again/you should become immune... I would not classify it as a disease as such.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 02:39:51 pm »
I'd tell the folks to the North and East, just because I'd like them to tell me if it was the other way round.  What harm can it do?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 03:27:07 pm »
What you need to do is accidentally bump into your neighbours and in casual conversation ask about sheep, ask them how often they get orf etc, maybe also ask what other health problems are common in your area like fluke, scab etc.  You probably got it from them / the local environment / any previous occupants.

Jon Feather

• Joined Jun 2015
  • South West Cumbria
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 04:29:21 pm »
Thanks peeps.  I think Ill ring one of them this evening (north and east neighbours are brothers farming separate holdings, both fixed).

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS