Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Had to bring my sheep in. What to feed ewe lambs?  (Read 3303 times)

kellybee

• Joined Oct 2015
Had to bring my sheep in. What to feed ewe lambs?
« on: January 04, 2016, 11:32:02 am »
Hello, second ever thread for me - we had a couple of southdown x balwen ewe lambs in November and they're great. Born last spring and growing nicely

However, because they were in the highest paddock at the far end of our property we've recently struggled a bit to get up there to feed and check on them (the weather being as wet as it is) and we were worried that the field shelter would flood so we've brought them in. Currently in our chicken pen which is covered and 25ft x 18ft so they have plenty of room and very dry feet. Ideal really as it's heras type fencing dug into the ground and wrapped in wind-breaking net so not really indoors, but covered. We've been feeding them meadow hay/haylage from a haynet and a mug full of grass nuts in a bucket to help tame them a bit whilst we have the opportunity.

My question really is, should I be feeding them sheep nuts instead of the grass nuts now that they're not grazing? Obviously because of their age they wont be lambing this year but they are still growing. I dont think they are particularly fat and they serve no other purpose than lawn mowing so we arent looking to fatten them up, grow them at a fast rate or prepare them for lambing. They're just pet sheep really... do we keep doing what we're doing or switch the grass nuts for sheep nuts? Have looked all opver and found advice suitable for all scenarios except our really - With thanks :)

devonlady

• Joined Aug 2014
Re: Had to bring my sheep in. What to feed ewe lambs?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 11:58:03 am »
Good quality hay and water is all they need.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 02:17:40 pm »
Both parent breeds are natives that will do very well on grass.  We feed ours only in the run up to lambing and through early lactation.  A small amount of grass nuts to get them tame is a good idea.  Try calling each time you feed them - having sheep that willcome to call without you having a bucket in your hand can be quite useful.

kellybee

• Joined Oct 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 04:08:55 pm »
Thank you :) They dont have access to grass at the moment (and the hay is just meadow hay) hence I wanted to be sure they weren't missing out on essential nutrients. They literally come running if I rattle the bucket. They also run the other way if I move too fast but I can at least touch them and they know exactly whats in that bucket  ;D

They only have a mug of grass nuts between the two of them per day which we wet down after the smaller one seemed to have problems swallowing the dry nuts. When you guys originally suggested grass nuts I think someone said that too much of them can cause bloat so we have always just used a very small amount. Good to know we are on the right tracks, thanks again

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 04:15:33 pm »
 They'd appreciate a salt lick as well.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 07:28:46 pm »
Wouldnt use a hay net with sheep , can get themselves into trouble. Use a hay rack homemade or you can buy ones for using indoors  :thumbsup:

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 09:00:46 am »
I agree about the haynet.  Racks that drop over a fence or gate wori well, or a small field hayrack which will have the advantage of catching sorted hay on the shelf which can then be put back in the rack to cut down on waste.

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2016, 10:40:22 am »
I ve been bringing ours in to drench them, dryed them out, spot on ed them too, whilst housed.   They have shreds and a sprinkling of creep, once a day and ad lib haylage, plus red crystalix bucket. Then off up to some high fields.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS