Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Whats so great about goats?  (Read 8723 times)

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Whats so great about goats?
« on: January 04, 2016, 10:52:25 am »
Ok. I admit it I am am a closet goat fancier.  ;)

I dont own one, but I do think they are lovely and always find myself reading your goaty trials and triumphs with interest. I used to milk goats at a rare breeds farm in my youth and have always had a soft spot for them ( especially pygmies) but cant justify them on my limited space and budget. :-\

So I just wondered why you had chosen to be be goat keepers and what you find so great about them. In the interest of balence you can moan about them too if you like  ;D

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: Whats so great about goats?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 10:53:48 am »
Because fsmnutter told me it was happening, the rest is history.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 01:13:13 pm »
I like goats - they are such characters but we don't keep them as goats milk makes me heave, as does goats milk yogurt, goats milk cheese and goats milk fudge, even.

Dan and I have a deal that we only keep what is productive so with the cattle, which I love, and the sheep, there was really no function for them here.

Always th first place I go at a show though - the goat tent  ;D

clydesdaleclopper

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 01:49:06 pm »
Rosemary I can't stand the supermarket goats milk and have the same reaction as you but my home produced unpasteurised stuff is awesome.

To me goats have the best attributes of all livestock  ;D  they are gorgeous, clever, cuddly, productive and very amusing pests  :love: :goat: :love:
Our holding has Anglo Nubian and British Toggenburg goats, Gotland sheep, Franconian Geese, Blue Swedish ducks, a whole load of mongrel hens and two semi-feral children.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 02:16:41 pm »
So those of you who keep them for their productive value keep them for their milk....?

I dont think I have ever tried it. Well certainly not the proper stuff any how. If I did ever taste the milk that I took from the goats at the rare breeds farm it's too long ago to remember what it tasted like.

Is it superior to cows milk?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 02:30:57 pm »
Raw, non-homogenised milk from a small herd of goats is just the best! I cannot go back to shop-bought milk (goat or cows) as I can taste the plastic... any goaty taste is usually the result of a mineral imbalance (often shortly after kidding or at times of other stress).

However I would also say that the same is true for home-produced cows' milk. A while ago I got some (very illegal here in Scotland  :o) raw cows milk from Jersey cows and the creaminess was beyond belief!

I keep goats for home dairying (milk, cream, yoghurt, cheesemaking, some soap) as I don't have the facilities to keep cows, they produce a manageable amount of milk for two years easily (so not too many kiddings - but any castrated male kids make excellent curries and roasts), can be moved by a smaller trailer (and towed by estate car rather than 4x4), my children can deal with them (although now they are older that is not so much of an issue any more), they are very affectionate and then of course I got interested in showing them... and now away most w/ends during the show season with my team! Love it! About to order larger trailer so that I can take more goats away with me... :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 02:46:19 pm »
About to order larger trailer so that I can take more goats away with me... :)

And I hope you'll be bringing it to the Festival this year  :fc:

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 06:32:07 pm »
When my mother bought a smallholding we scratch our heads as to what we would get in the way of livestock!??
Went on some courses at the local agricultural college, went to see a small herd of milkers and the rest was history.
At one time we had 60 milkers and numerous followers plus males for meat. I have kept home bred goats as pets since down sizeing. They are very intelligent, comical and seriously contagious , lost my last two a year ago at 12 and 13yrs old It was aweful but as I have my sheep still I have  a distraction. Love them to bits  :sunshine: :goat: :love:

Caroline1

• Joined Nov 2014
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 09:34:29 pm »
I have had my 4 girls for 7 months now and am completely in love with them. Great characters and I find them so entertaining. The plan is breed for milk and cheesemaking, and meat from surplus kids.

I went for goats rather than cattle partly due to size (land needed and size of beast) but also because they have the cute factor for me and I want animals that are both useful and I like looking at.
________
Caroline

cuckoo

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 10:52:57 pm »
1. Their characters
2. They look good
3. They taste good
4. They make nice home made rugs
5. Their milk tastes good.
6. They are a good talking point and I have met some good friends along my 7 year goat keeping journey
7. Once you learn some basics they are no harder to keep than any other animal
8. They don't eat the washing off the line

Pop along to Seaton Ross and you can buy their goats milk products direct from St Helens (min orders apply).  St Helens is the best goats milk commercially available.  I am biased as I worked there for 3 years but I don't like the taste of Delamere.  Compared to your own goats milk it is different but it has been pasteurised and homogenised so will be a bit different.

We are In East Yorkshire too and have golden guernseys and boers if you want to come and get a goat fix near Goole

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 12:41:53 am »
I think my forum name probably gives a hint of how I feel about goats. I learned to milk a goat while staying with friends who have a small farm. When the ex and I planned on moving to Isle of Arran, we were wanting the go for the self-sufficiency lifestyle. We knew it would be limited by the size of land we could afford so decided on poultry and a goat (didn't know then that you should keep two). Having milked the friend's goat, I was determined that I needed goats. I even knitted a jumper with shorter sleeves to b e my goat milking jumper.

Unfortunately, the ex is a control freak (which is why he's the ex) and decided I wasn't having a goat after all.

A few years ago, now living in a town with my new husband, I had the opportunity to buy and share a couple of goats with a neighbour, with them living in her garden. She lost interest very quickly and I was so upset at the thought of not having goats any more that my lovely OH said I could have them in our garden.

Even when this horrible disease hit me and I could hardly move, I still hung onto my goats. My OH had to lower me onto the milking bench and haul me off again, but I managed the milking. He had to carry the buckets, etc and I still have to rely on others for mucking out, cleaning the yard and hoof trimming, which does cost me but they're worth it.

Why? All the reasons given in other posts. Plus, they are always pleased to see me and greet me with a gentle bleat whenever I appear, even if it's just at the window. They love cuddles and strokes and they don't care what I can and can't do. I had to give up a lot when I became disabled - walking, swimming and cycling being the ones that hurt the most as I loved them - but I just couldn't part with my goats.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2016, 09:08:17 am »
The original reason for getting a couple of golden Guernsey goats was because the oh is lactose intolerant.  However the little loves just keep me entertained as well. We have a daily routine for everything and they respond so well to it. I would love to get more :goat:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2016, 10:04:52 am »
The original reason for getting a couple of golden Guernsey goats was because the oh is lactose intolerant.  However the little loves just keep me entertained as well. We have a daily routine for everything and they respond so well to it. I would love to get more :goat:
Surely that's allergic to cows milk (the protein being specific to cows milk) as goats milk has exactly the same amount of lactose.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2016, 10:45:35 am »
I would love to get more :goat:

You can NEVER have enough goats.... although my OH is now refusing to extend the goathouse again... but with 11 milkers after this year's kdding ( :fc:), three goatlings to come on next year and I don't know how many kids this spring I guess I have quite a few...

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 11:23:57 am »
What can I add to that lot? Some of it makes me emotional because I seem to have a deep down need for my capricious friends (is that because I'm Capricorn? :),).
Had some years ago but due to family problems they had to go. 2010 now different circumstances I managed to get 2 Toggs, I now have 6, incuding Boers, hopefully 5 in kid. I use the milk for the house or rearing lambs. I try not to milk much during winter, but cut down to once a day if milking through, then as she increases after shortest day I up to twice a day.
Smaller than cattle, easier to handle, easy to keep in (with electric fence), easier to keep inside in bad weather/over winter. Loveable, affectionate, intelligent, can move them quickly in small transit van (vets etc), or lead them out to different small areas I need grazing down a bit. Don't poach the land like bigger stock.
Down sides ?
Too addictive. Can be wasteful with hay from racks. Errrm errrm, can't think of anything else  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS