Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bottles and Jars  (Read 2130 times)

WinslowPorker

• Joined Mar 2010
Bottles and Jars
« on: April 21, 2010, 04:48:04 pm »
Hi all,

Just a piece of info when i was looking into jam making, these seemed like one of the cheaper suppliers for small time producers

http://www.bottlesandjars.co.uk/index.html

any comments or additional suppliers will be appreciated

Snoopy

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Bottles and Jars
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:10:26 pm »
Hiya Winslow

We had a discussion on jars last summer - l can't find it, but fluffy and me had some good ideas.

One that springs to mind is that mint sauce and other comodities are on sale in Asda for like 8p per jar, so use the contents and
recycle the jars is a cheap option for some uses - especially chutney and savoury jars.

I get my jars from McLernons in Belfast, there's a branch in Dublin too, they supply chemist shops, colemans, heinz, tesco and
have lots of hexagon jars at wholesale prices.

Julie  :wave:
Living the Good Life and spreading the word

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 06:59:33 am »
Have a coffee morning ask people to bring recycled jam jars  ???

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 07:10:57 am »
I get friends and family to collect their old jars and bring them with them when they come and visit.....I've got 3 huge boxes full.  Just have to decide what to make to fill them. 

I've got chutney, jam and pickled eggs so far.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 02:00:58 pm »
Tell you what Julie.I cannot stand the MUCK its called Dipping sauce and it comes in a half jam jar (as round as a jam jar but only 3 inch tall).Ive got all the family saving them.Some times I get a small amount of something given and there isn't enough enough to make 6 lb jars but enough to make half a dozen dipping jars.So I can give a couple of jars away.I did 7 jars of Quince Jelly and I do mint consentrate.Horseradish and the likes.I also did half a dozen Rowan Jelly.It turned out very well as did the mushrooms.I have never bought a jar in my life other than Kilner Jars which I use for canning.I have done some experiments with canning fruit in modern type jam jars.Very successful as well (Pressure cooker method and they don't need a high dome cooker)
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS