Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Shelly hoof  (Read 8346 times)

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
Re: Shelly hoof
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2016, 02:15:43 pm »
Thanks Marches Farmer for the excelled photo. I know what you mean now about the 'bulb' of the foot. My ewe''s feet are similar to the photo. Would you cut back all the loose hoof to get rid of the pocket, leaving the foot exposed?  Would keeping them inside help the problem? Thank you.
4 pet sheep

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 02:44:43 pm »
Womble's photo, not mine.  If I was treating the foot shown, though, as it's dry and clear of mud, I'd spray the pocket with antibiotic spray and trim the outside horn on the left clee just above the level of the pad (about 3mm or the width of the foot shears' blade if laid flat against the pad).  I'd house for a week and let the foot dry out thoroughly and the horn harden, and see what the weather was like after that.  I wouldn't trim the right clee as it's at least held in place fore and aft and the horn at the side of the pocket is pretty level..

moprabbit

• Joined Oct 2011
  • North Notts
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2016, 03:08:16 pm »
Thanks for the advice Marches Farmer! Excellent photo Womble - sorry for mistaken identity! 
4 pet sheep

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 03:42:12 pm »
Oh, also for any pockets you decide to trim, it's easier to trim first and clean out later.

The pockets we don't trim, we fill with Cheviot Hoof Paste:

Actually that's a lie. That stuff is like smelly axle grease and sticks to everything except hooves, so mostly I plaster it all over my hands, trousers and nose instead. I have no idea if it works, but it makes me feel better for at least having tried.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Hellybee

• Joined Feb 2010
    • www.blaengwawrponies.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 07:17:24 pm »
Clay here, don t have much lameness.  Foot paste good  and what  Marches says, get em on dry yard for them to dry out. 

Womble  how is your lady now?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS