Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Square baler and hay turner  (Read 3850 times)

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
Square baler and hay turner
« on: January 01, 2016, 05:47:01 pm »
Off to look at an International square baler and a PZ300 hay turner tomorrow.  Baler is described as 'stored inside until last month, good working order, throws the odd untied bale, good tyres, had no problem with it' and turner as 'just done up it got new springs and new hubs and good gates'.

What should I be looking out for?  I've been told to check the bearings on the PTO drive on the baler.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Square baler and hay turner
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 10:19:12 pm »
If you have a friend /neighbour who has experience  making hay they would be your best bet  ,  if you look on ebay you should see plenty of pictures of both machines to give you a good idea of how they look . Many moving parts on both  , would be good to attach both machines to a tractor to see them work , but still need experience.  If not to expensive then all  worn /damaged bits are repairable

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 10:56:39 pm »
Both are good makes,
Ask him to run both of them on a tractor. So long as the turner rotors turn without wobbling it should be something like. As said parts readily available for these.

Get him to put three or four bales through the baler,  this will tell you if it works.  As said there are many things to look at on these machines but you need an experienced eye. 

Hard to summarise here.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 07:28:35 am »
Thanks, spent yesterday evening watching YouTube videos of both, so have a bit of an idea - unfortunately no experienced friends available at such short notice and the guy selling them is away again on Monday. 

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 04:37:27 pm »
Well, seemed to be okay, so I've bought them - worst comes to worst I could probably smarten them up, put them through the mart next month for parts only and make back what I paid, more or less.  Fingers crossed!  :fc:  There are a couple of guys in the area with a reputation for being able to get more or less anything back running again, so hopefully all will be fine.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 05:18:09 pm »
 :thumbsup: both these machines hold their value well

stufe35

• Joined Jan 2013
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 08:02:32 pm »
Have you used them yet ?

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 08:09:37 pm »
Nope, haven't had a break in the weather yet :(  John was going to bring his tractor up so we could put a few bales through, but he's not been well and I haven't seen him about recently.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS