Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Do I need to change my feeding routine for my small flock of layers/non layers?  (Read 3998 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Hope that is specific enough in the title!!!
I have a flock of 5 hybrids. All POL in late July and until this last week or so churning out 5 eggs a day. One has stopped laying ( This hen is easily identified because of her egg shell colour) and one (or more) occasionally misses a day. To be honest I expected less eggs but my query is this, do I  just carry on feeding layer pellets to all the flock as I have done to date?

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
I feed mine layers pellets all year round with a little corn thrown in for keeping weight over the winter.  I would say stick to normal feeding routine.  According to calculations for 6-8 large fowl I am feeding 500g layers pellets twice a day, but that's only for large fowl like salmon faverolles. You would have to calculate the weight of the birds into it as well, like I did, and see what it amounts to. How much are you currently feeding them?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 03:13:40 pm by waterbuffalofarmer »
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Daylight hours are short.  Hens need to eat protein to produce eggs.  If you don't over-ride the natural cycle by providing 14 hours' light (as commercial farms do) then egg production will slow down now and pick up again as the daylight hours elngthen.  Mine get layers pellets all year and we take in the feeders at dusk or 9.00 p.m., whichever is the earlier, and put them out again at dawn or 6.30 a.m., whichever is the later.

Stereo

• Joined Aug 2012
I've noticed a very odd thing the last 3 years on the trot. I get virtually no eggs from the end of October aside from young pullets hatched early that spring who often lay right through winter but in smaller numbers. The day after the shortest day, the older birds start again. On the day. It's bizzare, it's like they know. My leghorns are 2-3 years old but are really starting to churn them out now which is a relief. Marans and Rhodes laying the odd one. Sussex, nothing yet.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Thanks for the replies. I will just carry on with the layers then.  I too feed them corn later in the afternoon WBF, partly to get them back in from the garden or fields before it gets dark and parly as a treat. The rest of the feed is demand fed using the grandpa feeder they struggled with for so long. So pleased with it now tho.
Happy New Year All
Greg

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Stop feeding layers if they are not producing eggs. as it's high in calcium.Just feed them mixed corn until spring.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
My laying flock are on layers/mixed corn in a pheasant hopper (so ad lib) all year round. Some of them are still laying now due to the mild weather. In the summer I up the % of layers pellets, winter it's a 50:50 mix.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Thanks for the last couple of responses too. It was the high calcium that worried me. I guess the compromise is maintaining an appropriate mixture whilst they are not laying. 4 huge eggs from five hens today tho so the layer pellets will still be served first!

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
We used switch to rearer pellets when none were laying, but then switched back to layers immediately the first one restarted. However we have had a problem changing over because some didn't like the different pellets and now we don't change. Only a solitary cock will get rearers.

We tried mixing grain with layers years ago but they just dug out all the pellets to get to the grain. We've also mixed layers with rearers and got the same problem to a lesser extent. I don't think the extra Calcium does them any harm if their kidneys are functioning correctly and it does give them chance to replenish the Calcium store in their bones over the non-laying period.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
I agree.  I think grain only tends to put down fat in the body cavity.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
I've never heard of cutting layers food.  50% of mine arent laying but I dont have a clue which ones.  They are on organic B&W layers with kelp supplement/fresh milk (excess), veg, bacon fat.  All extremely healthy and happy.  They are in a huge barn where the lights come on 7.30 and stay on until 9pm. The ground is a mix of chipped wood, muck and leaves so they are when exercised and happy.

I havent read any problems of taking non layers out and incorporating a different feed though surely the mix is of high quality and very little difference?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS