Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Berkshire or Middle White Survey  (Read 6349 times)

DCBBGB

• Joined Dec 2015
  • Mid Glamorgan
Berkshire or Middle White Survey
« on: December 31, 2015, 09:23:36 am »
Details about the location and the type of pigs I am looking for.  :pig:

Situated in South Wales in a wet and windy location and having the appropriate land to keep pigs (grassland + woodland), wanting to keep a rare small/medium size British breed (with a short snout preferably for less "ploughing"). Interested in any type of ratios you might have in regards to these 2 breeds.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Berkshire or Middle White Survey
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 10:37:15 am »
(with a short snout preferably for less "ploughing").

Do not get pigs.  Find another smallholder locally that does pigs, and work out what you can swap with each other so you get your free range pork without having your land ploughed.

Otherwise, Kune Kunes are reputed to dig less than other breeds, but if you're set on British, and set on pigs, and accept some ploughing, then what about Saddlebacks?  I have no personal experience of Middle Whites, but of the three breeds I've had (OSB, Large Black and Saddleback cross), I'd go for the Saddleback in your situation.  The reason for that being that they are the fastest finishers of the three, and the ground trashing gets exponentially more after about 4 months.  So although Saddlebacks dig as much as any other breed, they'd be doing it for less months as larger animals, so would do less damage.

The same may be true of Middle Whites, of course - I know people who send them away at 6 months for a nice lean carcase under 60kgs deadweight.  And they have a shorter snout.

My Large Blacks dug less than the OSBs, but the Large Blacks take longer to finish, so overall the ground impact is probably similar to the OSBs.

Another way to look at it is, the ground will get trashed anyway, so which pigs will you like the most?  Enough to compensate for the trashing of the ground?  For me, that answer is OSB all the way, such characters  :love: :pig: and so lovely to look at.  Sounds like Berkshires may have the cute factor for you.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 11:43:01 am »
If they've dry shelter all native breeds should be able to cope with the weather and all will trash the ground, irrespective of snout length.  I suggest starting by finishing weaners purchased in late Spring and see how you get on with them.  Don't forget good fencing and a permanent clean water supply.

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 03:33:28 pm »
Ha! would you look at that the votes are even. Berkshire are not a good pig if you don't want plowed land, here is someone speaking from experience. As to middle whites I am not sure. When I bought my large blacks I found they didn't root a huge amount, they mostly grazed, so that could be an option. But like someone has already said Kune, kune should be a good option, small, docile and are grazing pigs. Really though all pigs do poach somewhat even if they don't necessarily dig that much.
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

daveh

• Joined Nov 2008
  • South Northamptonshire
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 04:21:04 pm »
My large blacks could dig for England. Four foot round hole by two feet deep in an hour. The last couple were unusual in that they would chew stones like a teenager chews gum. It is difficult to say which is better.

Regards, David

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 06:00:55 pm »
All pigs root that is how they find food. If you have wet land and have pigs you will have mud. Pigs on virgin land will root more because there is loads of stuff to dig for. Over the years with reseeding they will dig less as they remove those goodies from the soil.

Kune's are known as grazers but all pigs like to do some grazing. Kune's also like to dig.

If you want pigs then you will have to manage their environment. You say you have some woodland so you will have some natural shelter. You can give them as much space as you want but actually a couple of weaners don't need that much so you can pick a piece of land you don't mind trashing.

As for a breed you will find what suits you and your land but a good start is to see what people keep in your location.

DCBBGB

• Joined Dec 2015
  • Mid Glamorgan
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 09:00:28 pm »
Ha! would you look at that the votes are even.

Unfortunately I had to vote myself randomly in order to see the votes results and I voted for Berskshire, so technically we are at 50/50 for Middle White and "Other"... :thinking:

I am aware that pigs trash land and that it is inevitable but some pigs ultimately do less damage than others which is why I am going for a small/medium size (amongst other reasons). I will most likely not breed straight away as I want to get used to having them and will then be in a better position to decide, however, I was interested in knowing what owners have to say. I thought of Kune Kunes as a "beginner's" pig but I have got this idea stuck in my mind that I want a British breed...  :)   :pig:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 09:10:20 pm »
Ha! would you look at that the votes are even.

Unfortunately I had to vote myself randomly in order to see the votes results and I voted for Berskshire, so technically we are at 50/50 for Middle White and "Other"... :thinking:

I am aware that pigs trash land and that it is inevitable but some pigs ultimately do less damage than others which is why I am going for a small/medium size (amongst other reasons). I will most likely not breed straight away as I want to get used to having them and will then be in a better position to decide, however, I was interested in knowing what owners have to say. I thought of Kune Kunes as a "beginner's" pig but I have got this idea stuck in my mind that I want a British breed...  :)   :pig:

Small/medium size?? Berkshires and Middle Whites tend to go off to slaughter at lower live weights than other traditional breeds that can be taken to larger weights without putting on too much fat but there is not a lot of difference when you look at breeding sows and boars between the breeds.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 09:01:51 am by Dan »

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2015, 10:05:13 pm »
Not sure where you are but I too am in South Wales (near Abergavenny) and keep pigs on a hillside - both pasture and in woodland. I have currently got Old Spots, OSB sow, Saddleback crosses as growers and a Mangalitza sow. They're all rotavators. The land is all soaked at the moment and there is mud everywhere but the woodland suffers far less than the pasture. Hillsides (windy ones) are good in that they keep you and them fit and the water drains. They're not so good when you're being blown sideways and carrying stuff up there! I started 2.5yrs ago and was sure OSBs would be my breed when I was doing my theory work. And I do have a lovely OSB sow. However, against all my original theory the Old Spots have become my favourites. For meat growers mind you, I do like the Saddlebacks for rapid growth and good shape/taste. You'd be welcome to come and have a look if you like when the weather is slightly less biblical - a sort of pig parade although don't have your Berkshires/Middle Whites. It may give you a feel for a few different breeds as I do think it's partly about liking the way they look (as well as temperament and eventual taste).
Martha R

DCBBGB

• Joined Dec 2015
  • Mid Glamorgan
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 09:12:22 am »
Thanks MarthaR, I'm relatively close to you (between Merthyr and Pontypridd). Thanks for the kind offer I will bear that in mind when I am closer to actually buying the pigs.

MarthaR

• Joined Sep 2013
  • Near Abergavenny, South Wales
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 12:16:54 pm »
No problem - I know it helped me to actually go and see a few places with pigs to get a feel for enclosure sizes, set up and of course pigs themselves. I have also got a few breeding contacts around these parts as a result of trying out a number of breeds so feel free to send me a message if/when you are interested in visiting.
Martha R

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2016, 01:03:36 pm »
I've kept Saddlebacks, Berkshires, and GOS X S&Bs, all as weaners to finish. All the above comments I would agree with. All 3 have ploughed as soon as the ground was soft, the crosses possibly the fastest but they all soon churn up and pasture when it's damp.  Not tried keeping them in woodland I guess it would need to be very well established for the roots to be strong enough to survive.   Of the three it is the Berkshires I have taken to most but they do finish a bit slower I think.  To be honest if you like pigs you will probably like any of them!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2016, 03:36:04 pm »
You are in Wales so get Welsh pigs! :D

I would get welsh or berkshire or saddleback.  Depends what you want to do with the meat really.  All pigs will root, just keep them in the woods and move them around or have a large area for them to roam in.  Don't let them on your pasture!

DCBBGB

• Joined Dec 2015
  • Mid Glamorgan
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2016, 09:21:04 pm »
You are in Wales so get Welsh

Isn't the Welsh bigger than Middle Whites and Berkshires though...

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2016, 05:12:57 pm »
You are in Wales so get Welsh

Isn't the Welsh bigger than Middle Whites and Berkshires though...

Nope.

From the RBST site (adult sizes):
Berkshire  sow 220  boar 280
Middle White  sow 200  boar 280
Welsh   sow 200  boar 250

The welsh is very hardy, and tends to stay lean.  Good for pork or bacon.  Plenty of breeders around south wales area too.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS