Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: incubating chicken eggs  (Read 2105 times)

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
incubating chicken eggs
« on: April 21, 2010, 11:29:45 am »
from what i can understand the temperature should be around 40c with humidity of 80%,these are figures i got off the internet.Does this sound right to you guys?the eggs are due to go into the incubator tommorow,So a quick reply would be appreicated. N.B these are bantam chicken eggs,not sure if that makes a difference.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: incubating chicken eggs
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 12:14:22 pm »
temp just a little lower. the humidity of 80% would be bad. aim for 45% a few % either way does not matter. increase by 10% for the hatching. the bantams will hatch earlier. there are a lot of good books out there. i would get one. try the library you may not need to even buy one.

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 12:30:08 pm »
Thanks very much paul,When i've done my research on the hatching etc it says that they should hatch at 21 days,and i should stop rotation at day 18.In my naivety i just presumed that it would be the same case for bantams,thanks again

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 03:35:32 pm »
i think its 19 days for bantams. but the day can vary ive had a 5 day spread in hatching from normal hens. day 19-23. as long as everything runs normaly then you will have chicks. practice on some cheaper ones before going wild. be advised it becomes adictive. so for the bantams day 17 stop turning and increase humidity.

Kier

• Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 08:21:38 pm »
thanks very much paul,yeh i can see this becoming addictive tbh,We had success last year with 12 silver appleyard eggs and we;re hoping that success will follow through to this year with the chickens.will keep you posted,many thanks

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS