Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Absess ?  (Read 2878 times)

timberdog

• Joined Dec 2015
Absess ?
« on: December 28, 2015, 06:01:06 pm »
Hi my gos boar has developed a lunp on his outer and inner lip...its got heat in it so i can only assume infection from being around livestock for a while etc.

We have checked inside mouth after a little pig wrestling lol and it looks like the lip only not gums or teeth.

I can only assume he may have cut his inner lip and its got infected and now absess?

My thoughts are clean enviroment and treat with antibiotics?

Ps appologies on grammer i am very dslexic

Any further constructive advice welcome
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 06:06:42 pm by timberdog »

HappyHippy

Re: Absess ?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 12:08:54 am »
Has he got tusks? Could this have caught the lip? If so get them trimmed as soon as possible.
I'd give a long acting antibiotic jab and keep and eye on him - don't go messing with the abscess.
Keep us posted

timberdog

• Joined Dec 2015
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 10:35:08 am »
No tisks as young ..ok sounds lile a plan

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 12:00:23 pm »
I agree with HH.  Long-acting antibiotic should do the trick, especially for a young, fit animal.  I get the vet in to sedate and file down the tusks of my breeding boars when they're about a year old. 

fiatmillie1969

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 11:02:37 am »
Very interested in this post as 1 of my tamworth crosses has a sore mouth/teeth??

How is the long acting antibiotics administered? Injection?

Only injected my pigs once and it was hell on earth.

Any advice welcome

Happy new year

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 12:18:55 pm »
I have a Masterject, which is a cross between a caulking gun and an air pistol and you can put down a bit of feed and inject from outside the pen. Other folks like the Slapshot, which works differently and is much cheaper.  Otherwise it's a minimum of three hefty chaps pinning the pig behind a strong metal hurdle and someone who doesn't mind 150 decibels of screaming pig next to their ear while they administer the jab.

fiatmillie1969

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2016, 12:33:38 pm »
cheers marches farmer, yeah done the 1 man,1 women and a son injection(hell on earth).
Defo need to get myself one of these off to have a look now.
very helpful.

thanx

IretonsFarm

• Joined Aug 2015
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2016, 11:52:48 am »
We had a gilt take poorly over the new year and had to give a 5 day course of antibiotics.

The first two days was easy enough as she was just lying in bed feeling sorry for herself so fed the others then injected her. Days 3-5 as she was improving was a case of putting the feed out and trying to get her in a position where by the other pigs weren't likely to get in the way whilst I did it.

Not the best part of pig keeping but would of been worse dragging a corpse out the pen and phoning the knacker man.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS