Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who has still got flowers in their gardens this December end of 2015  (Read 2430 times)

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Well I never expected to be asking this ever , but the amount of flowers in bloom in our garden are amazing even though it is Boxing day .
 We still have a single Lupin  with flowers on the one remaining  long tall stem, loads of cowslips , & polyanthus , some flowers I forget the name of , no snow drops but hollies with berries and flowers.

It seems that most of the trees in the garden and just outside it are aching to break out into full bud ready to open as well

Both of the lawns have nigh on 4 inches of grass with a fair amount of Daisies  almost the same height .

If it stays dry tonight I may well give the lawns a haircut tomorrow & turn some compost into a few of the raised beds .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Who has still got flowers in their gardens this December end of 2015
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 04:30:12 pm »
A couple or so years ago there was a really mild Feb and the trees opened their leaves and really thought Spring was here.  Then the weather closed in with huge gales and the full works.  Needless to say the poor foliage was damaged to brown crispness.  The sad thing was that the trees and shrubs never recovered that year because they had no oomph left when the true Spring finally arrived.

Here in the south of Scotland we have a couple of bushes with tiny roses, dark red, which are still flowering, but in most years they go on until Christmas anyway.  We have winter flowering coloured primroses, as you would expect, but our single remaining lupin flower has finally finished.  There are one or two alpines in flower but again not surprising.  A few daff leaves are pushing up so I will cover them with more soil - today we have snow so they need protection.  Then we have a large pot with white Hellebores which are meant to flower for the end of the year anyway.
So nothing unusual here.

We did get another announcement from Mr Fothergill's that yet another catalogue is out.  Someone must have been poised to press the 'send' button at midnight  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 04:44:28 pm »
Here in the Marches we have California Lilac, primroses, roses, mahonia (saw a bumble bee on it this morning) and St John's Wort.

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 04:53:36 pm »
My hydrangeas opened flowers about three weeks ago, we have primroses in bloom and I found an alpine strawberry in flower today.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 04:58:14 pm »
Roses, primroses, periwinkle all in flower in Conwy/ Denbighshire borders????

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 09:05:32 pm »
Here in Somerset we have roses, daisies, grape hyacinths and hazel catkins. Went down to Minehead on Christmas eve and saw masses of daffodils in full bloom.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 12:16:08 am »
Booo Hooo , the Lonely Lupin succumbed to the frost last night .

The rest of the plants are my heroes ,  there are so many flowers now it's like it should be the middle of March
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS