Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Telegraph poles- length to cut to make field gate hanging post?  (Read 5138 times)

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
Telegraph poles- length to cut to make field gate hanging post?
« on: December 23, 2015, 04:56:48 pm »
Hi all- I have a couple of telegraph poles that I am going to cut down in preparation for making them into field gate hanging posts (10-14ft heavy gates). Any idea of what length to cut them? I am thinking 3 foot in the ground and 5ft above ground? And I assume I need to sharpen one end to aid with post knocking?

Thanks!

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Telegraph poles- length to cut to make field gate hanging post?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 04:59:11 pm »
We bury as much as we leave out the ground.  Holes are dug for them as post knockers struggle.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 05:08:51 pm »
Our agricultural contractor has a tractor mounted post-banger which has a built-in level - works brilliantly and takes about a tenth of the time we would.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 07:09:55 pm »
Standard length   10ft

JTFarms

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 11:15:21 pm »
I would go as deep as I could  if can't go any deeper than 4 foot then pour concrete in after setting in post and leveling as for the out of the ground height  4 to 5 feet sholud be fine with lightweight gates 12 feet and less one post should be suffice.on   Gates longer than 12 feet or of medium and heavy weight an H brace is best with two post in the ground at deep as possible or concreted if less than 4 feet deep an horizontal post or board place about 1 to 1 1\2 foot from top of post in the ground placed on the inside of ground post nailed or penned in    (to pen in use  some renforceing ( rebar )steel rod cut to long enough to go through the post in the ground an into the horizontal post or board about5 inches if possible use 1\2 to 5\8 rebar is best if large post issued in cross brace post ).  Then take some heavy gauge wire (wire barbed wire will suffice here to ) nail at the top of one post ( use two fence staple at each nailing) and the bottom of the other post do both post that way  or you can measure  the distance between  the two post diagonally double this length and cut your wire 1 to 1 1\2 foot  longer  nail your wire with one fence staple at the top of one post just above the horizontal post or board a nail at the bottom of the other post just above the ground. (Make sure to allow the ends of your wire to be overlaped  the 1 to 1 1\2 foot between the two post before you nail it down!!) Do this again on to form an X with the wire the place a wooden stick or small cut piece of board between not quite half way so you have some leverage to twist the wires  loop of two parallel diagonal wires and twist over an over till tight do the same with the other two wire loop with another wooden stick in the wire and let it catch on the other tisted wire to keep it from backin off the pressure.  Hope this is useful to you            Sorry so long of a reply.  James. 
James

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2015, 07:24:59 am »
Standard length for strainers for normal stock fencing is 2.4m (8ft).

Aim to get them half in the ground.  Realistically if I can get mine 1m in I am doing very well as the ground is so hard at that depth, haven't had any problems with them moving yet but they are packed in well with rocks.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 07:44:40 am »
Just to qualify we use a hole borer for digging the holes before finishing with a post knocker otherwise it is banging away for ages, especially in dry summers or areas with a lot of tree roots.

Fieldfare

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2015, 12:24:20 pm »
Hi all- thanks for all that great advice... I know what I need to do now  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS