Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sad.  (Read 6205 times)

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
Sad.
« on: December 23, 2015, 01:50:58 pm »
had to have my beautiful big boy PTS this morning, he was only 4. Came in with a head wound on Monday-looked like he'd been fighting. Vets yesterday and had some a'biotics and painkillers. Went down hill overnight and off his legs this morning, in lots of pain. Either a blood clot or internal bleeding.

Beyond sad and sat in work by myself.

He was an ace character, got from a rescue year before last. 5.5kg of DSH awesomeness. Scared of nothing but really sussed around cars and livestock. Best mouser ever and would accompany me while shutting up coops every night, whatever the weather. Friend of the dog and stealer of chicken dinners. He'd sometimes come in with scrapes or looking like he'd had a night on the tiles. A bit of a kip and he'd be demanding food and hugs again. We'd joke that he go out drinking with the local badgers before ending up in some stramash or other.

RIP my man, you will be sorely missed. Little cat is looking somewhat lost.

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: Sad.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 01:57:43 pm »
Awww, very sad but it sounds as if that was the way he was destined to go. A bare knuckle fighter to the end. RIP  :cat:
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 03:23:12 pm »
So sorry to hear this. He sounds like a wonderful character and had a great life. :hug:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 04:13:54 pm »
I'm sure animals in the rescue places wait for the special owner they know will come their way before they let them know.  We had a wonderful cat who did that and sat washing her paws and sending a mental message which said 'I don't know why you're looking at those kittens.  I'M over here'.  Clearly you were that special owner and your boy had a wonderful life with you.  Remember the life not the end  :hug:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

kelly58

• Joined Mar 2013
  • Highlands, Scotland
  • Home is were my animals are.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2015, 04:14:10 pm »
So sorry  :hug: never easy loosing  an animal, like loosing  a friend. There are other poor souls out there who would love a home with someone as caring as yourself , just a thought .

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2015, 05:34:54 pm »
 :hug: That is so sad. He had a good life with you, as others have said, remember the good times, but I am sure you will miss him, he sounds like he was a real character.

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 07:05:17 pm »
thank you all so much.

Fleecewife-I had told the rescue what I was looking for. I have a thing for ginger toms (he was white and black) but colour wasn't a deal breaker. The first cat they showed me was (then called) Romeo. He walked out of his inside run and rolled over on his back purring like an outboard motor  :)  as if I'd known him all his life. I went and saw the others but it was a done deal by then! Weirdly they said they hadn't had a lot of interest in him. I'll miss him, he was more dog like than my dog. The first time I let him out, he brought me three mice in less than an hour (after his tea). He had the mouse 'problem' nailed in about a week.

I do have a younger cat that we got from Roxy (my ginger tom!) who is looking a bit lost tonight, they got on really well. Another might be on the cards as I don't like to see animals on their own, we'll see about it in the new year.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 07:45:50 pm by lord flynn »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2015, 11:23:57 pm »
What a character.  :love: :cat:    He's left his footprints on your heart, alright.   :bouquet:  :hug:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2015, 07:15:31 am »
I am very sorry to hear about that, it is horrible to have to have a pet put to sleep. He sounds like a real character and I know you will miss him, I miss my old sheepdog everyday. I like the way sally says that they leave their footprints on your heart, its so true. It sounds like he had a wonderful life with you. I hope all will be well soon and if you need to talk you can pm me any time :hug:
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 10:34:39 pm »
So sorry to read this.  Some of my big farm toms come back with war wounds, but fortunately nothing so severe.

I still have Ginger George, your cats mother, plus his two older brothers, Little George, and big Ginger ....all very ginger.  My Scottish family are down at the moment, so I could have sent a ginger one back for you!!!

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2015, 07:42:47 am »
I have a dog like cat. They are rare and rather special. He clearly clicked with you and thats always the reason to chose a pet.

I hope that this poem by Thomas Hardy makes you realise that others understand the loss of a friend.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 07:44:22 am by Buffy the eggs layer »

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 06:46:17 pm »
So sorry to read this.  Some of my big farm toms come back with war wounds, but fortunately nothing so severe.

I still have Ginger George, your cats mother, plus his two older brothers, Little George, and big Ginger ....all very ginger.  My Scottish family are down at the moment, so I could have sent a ginger one back for you!!!

don't think I didn't think of you! We'll see, we've still to have that conversation-I was a bit norty getting your kitten  ;)  so I need to to play this one carefully (OH loves cats but is allergic-if we get another we'll get a girl I think, to try and minimise this).

The initial would didn't look that bad tbh, and he was still bright and eating for at least 24 hours after :(

lord flynn

• Joined Mar 2012
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2015, 06:49:04 pm »
I have a dog like cat. They are rare and rather special. He clearly clicked with you and thats always the reason to chose a pet.

I hope that this poem by Thomas Hardy makes you realise that others understand the loss of a friend.

thankyou, that's a lovely poem. I don't know how you 'make' a cat like him, he was a very confident cat.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS