Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: I made Cullen skink....  (Read 6775 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
I made Cullen skink....
« on: December 22, 2015, 12:25:40 am »
All my life I've made very unladylike gagging noises whenever fish soup has been mentioned.  Tonight I suddenly had to have some  ???  So here's what I did:

Brought 1/2 pint full cream milk to the boil (actually I boiled it over the first effort and had to start again  ::))  I chopped an onion very very finely and set it to simmer in the milk.  I added some chopped button mushrooms (they're not part of the usual recipe as far as I know, but I thought they looked good).  Meanwhile I steamed home grown potatoes til cooked then mashed them.  Once the onion was nearly cooked I placed two pieces of smoked haddock on the top to cook. I took out the fish to skin it, and added half a pint of vegetable stock, then the mashed potatoes.  A pinch of dried marjoram, a few twists of black pepper and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, followed by the flaked fish, a bit more water added to reach the desired consistency, a good stir and dinner was ready.
I'm pleased to say it was really tasty  :hungry: but I feel a bit sick now  :roflanim:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 12:33:20 am by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: I made Cullen skink....
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 06:09:43 am »
Fleece wife you are the only person I know who even knows about Cullen skink let alone makes it ;D  It is rather rich and less is probably more but with some home made bread on a wet and windy day it's very comforting. I am impressed but ever so slightly concerned about this food craving.....could it be a sign of something..... :-J

I think you may also be one of the few people who kindles the yule log from the previous years log and dresses it.

I bet you know how to make eggnog as well dont you....?

JTFarms

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:21:38 am »
That sounds really good I could almost smell it as I read the post.   James :yum:
James

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2015, 07:58:00 am »
That sounds so good! Making me hungry even though I have just finished my porridge!

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 08:33:24 am »
We make this! Planned for perhaps christmas eve supper :)

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 10:56:58 am »
I've never had cullen skink but recently tried fish chowder which I think is similar and also made with smoked haddock.
It was really tasty. In fact I have made it twice recently as it was such a hit.

Going to try a chowder with bacon and sweetcorn next. 
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2015, 04:17:08 pm »
God I love cullen skink, could eat it by the bucket  :yum:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS