Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Renewable energy enthusiast  (Read 4423 times)

jonathan

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Essex
    • SolarVentus Energy
Renewable energy enthusiast
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:54:45 pm »
Hi everyone,

I'm very pleased to have found this forum, its very active and has some great topics. I'm a renewable energy enthusiast and also work for a company supplying wind turbines so I'm hoping I can add some value to the forum for any topics around those subjects.

While I dont own a smallholding (I would like to one day), I do visit them on a regular basis as most of our clients are smallholders and small farms, so when I can I will join in and take part.

Regards,

Jonathan

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Renewable energy enthusiast
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:36:28 pm »
Hi Jonathan, welcome to the forum.  I'm trying to get planning consent (Just outline) in Aberdeenshire, and was told that the planning officer was refusing on a technicality and to write to the councillors which I have done.  I originally wanted to go for specific rather than outline but my architect over-ruled me.  However, in my letter to these councillors I said that had I gone for specific I'd have wanted to put an eco friendly house on there, and suggested to them that if consent is given I would appreciate conditions to that effect.  It's not a big plot - 700 sq m approx.  Just in case they agree and come back to me asking for suggestions can I have some suitable ideas - its a small hamlet, very rural, on a slight slope, lots of trees roundabout.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 01:46:53 am »
Hi and welcome from Australia.  We are looking at wind turbines and solar power but unfortunately can't afford it.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:20:24 am »
Hi and welcome.

We're planning to put in a ground source heat pump and PV at our new smallholding.The new FIT makes it quite attractive.

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 07:28:14 am »
Hello and welcome from Devon.  :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

jonathan

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Essex
    • SolarVentus Energy
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:41:06 am »
Hello everyone,

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. :)

Doganjo - Scotland has a different planing process to England, however have a look at these two links:

Planning policy statement 22
Supplement to Planning policy statement 1

It may give you some ideas. Another thing to do is search for online copies of minutes of recent planning meetings for similiar projects to get ideas on what sort of objections the planners might have. Good luck with it, let me know how you get on.

Annie22 - How are things over in Oz? Great that this forum has members from all over the world. Investing in renewable energy requires a lot of captial up front, thats where we can help. Interestingly enough, many of the smallholders we are working with do have the money to buy their own turbines, but do not want to lock their money into such a long term investment.

Rosemary - yes, the new FITs are working as intended - making renewable energy pay. If you are going for solar PV I would recommend waiting a few weeks to see if Tescos and Sainsburys launch their solar PV, they reckon they will undercut everyone else by a significant amount. Some solar panels are unavailable at the moment, the rumour is that tescos have placed big orders.

JulieS - Devon, lucky you, great part of the country. We will be down that way soon for our holiday.

Jonathan

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 08:43:13 am »
It is a wonderful part of the country Jonathan  :) :) :)

Have a fantastic holiday....If you are in this area pop in and say hello.
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 08:56:58 am »
Hi welcome. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2010, 06:58:17 am by Hilarysmum »

HappyHippy

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 09:04:27 am »
Hello from me in South Lanarkshire  :wave:
Welcome to the forum and I'm sure I'll be picking your brain too in the future  ;)
Karen

Annie22

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Hoddles Creek
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 12:52:46 am »
Hi Jonathan, it is warm and sunny at the moment, but from tomorrow onwards it is going to be cold and rainy.  Victoria isn't all round sunshine like the other states, still warmer than Britain :D.  We had a big thrill in the winter of 2008 it snowed, but unfortunately the ground wasn't cold enough for the snow to settle.  I know snow can cause problems for a smallholder but when it dosn't happen very often it is a big thrill for the children.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 10:24:40 pm »
hello and welcome
Little Blue

Lors

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2010, 09:02:58 am »
Hi there  :wave:

And welcome from Scotland. wind turbines wow how wonderful I would love to be able to afford one of those, keep up the great work there mate. hat off to you  ;D

Brightest Blessings

Lors

jonathan

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Essex
    • SolarVentus Energy
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 09:50:43 pm »
Thanks to all for the warm welcome, this forum really does seem to have global membership!

Lors - we recognise that some people cant afford wind turbines, or as we are finding many people can afford them but want to invest their money elsewhere. If your site is suitable for a wind turbine you can get free electricity by allowing us to install one of ours.

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 09:39:25 am »

Hi I had a look at your website and did all the checks wind speed etc and came out at 5.6, just not sure this is enough or if I would get away with a wind turbine where I am in a village. Our planning dept are a nightmare and this area has more than it's share of wind farms.
Anne

spike.khan@bt.com

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 11:12:28 pm »
Hi Jonathon, just the man I need to pick his brains lol, my site wind speed is 5.7m/s @10 m and the highest point in Bledlow Ridge. I am about to get EDF to put a power feed in to the site. Shall I get a quote for 3 phase just in case I am able to install a wind turbine even though the area is designated AONB?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS