Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ex-bat feed  (Read 2775 times)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
Ex-bat feed
« on: April 20, 2010, 09:34:46 pm »
Hi

Just re-reading some of the info I got with the ex-bats last week, and it says to keep them on ex-bat crumbs or introduce ex-bat pellets. Can they move onto normal layers pellets? And how/when do you introduce these? I was working on the basis of feeding them the crumbs, then mixing the pellets in with them after a few weeks?

also, how much crumb/pellet do you give each hen per day - I am not sure if I am over feeding mine, since they are used to having food available all day . . . can they over eat or would they stop when full? I don't need obese chickens waddling about!  ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Ex-bat feed
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:44:14 pm »
I gave mine ground down layers pellets from the off, with a few whole pellets mixed in.  I also gave them my now well known porridge of rolled oats, boiling water poured over, add honey, mixed with milk, cooled, and get your hand out quick or they'll have that as well!  As to how much - check the bag, or if no info there look on http://www.lionsgrip.com/feedinstruc.html  I now reckon on a large plastic picnic cup times one and a half in the morning and the same again at night for my 8 hens and one cockerel.  My four ducks get about half that.
Hope that helps
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:21:22 am »
When I got the last lot of ex batts I had 35 so bought a bag of mash from the chicken lady and fed that till done, then put them onto layers pellets.  We are lucky to be able to let them roam so by the time the mash was finished they were out grazing and eating bugs and beasties anyway!!!  They all came on fine without any problems.  We also feed freely from hoppers.  The pellets are inside from open feeders and I also give them mixed corn from spring feeders outside so they can eat to suit themselves.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 11:32:41 am by Moregin »
Try to be the type of person your dog thinks you are!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:15:01 pm »
Eek, I didn't know you had that many birds, Stu.  Must come over for you to train my dogs soon ;) ;D ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Moregin

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Grangemouth
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 01:28:47 pm »
I have a 20 something flock of mixed breeds but when the battery lady was changing a house I took as many as I could as some friends said they would take a couple and I knew that they would be homed quite easily.  Needless to say the usual thing of 'Oh, you have them now!!!  I'm not really ready for them' and 'ahh, I didnt think you would actually get them - I just thought I might like to have some' so I ended up with too many.  I gave some away and whittled the numbers down to something more sensible.

As for the dog training just let me know when. 

Cheers
Try to be the type of person your dog thinks you are!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 03:24:19 pm »

As for the dog training just let me know when. 
Am retired as you know so whatever suits you since you are on shifts.  email or text and I'll be over.  Going to see Andy Cullen tomorrow

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS