Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Free range hens and grit?  (Read 2794 times)

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Free range hens and grit?
« on: April 20, 2010, 07:36:59 pm »
We have 9 hens (4 ex-bat and 5 from a friend who decided they couldn't cope with the hens anymore) that are kept in a run and coop overnight, then get let out to have free range of the field for the day. We feed them layers pellets and then give them a treat of some corn in the evening to get them back in the run. All day they are scratching around in the dirt and finding all sorts of beasties to supplement their diet. I also give them ground up (baked) egg shells every so often.
Should we be giving them grit in addition? Or will they be picking up enough minerals in their free range lifestyle?
Thanks
Tish

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Free range hens and grit?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 08:12:04 pm »
Mine are the same - I just put down some grit occasionally to ensure they have enough.  I don't think it's just for making shells. I think it's to help them grind the food in their gizzards as well.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 08:13:41 pm »

for our ex-batts, every so often we have to mix grit  with their layers pellets, as they're still not sure what to do with it!
I'd probably chuck some down for them, if mine were totally free range....
Little Blue

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 08:14:13 pm »
Mine are also free range and I leave a small dish of grit out for them which they peck at from time to time.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 08:15:05 pm »
Mine are also free range and I leave a small dish of grit out for them which they peck at from time to time.
When I put some down they gobble it like they do their dinner.  Greedy pigs mine are! ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 08:52:40 pm »
Many thanks for the replies  :D will sort out a dish of grit  :chook:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS