Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: International Space Station  (Read 9282 times)

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
International Space Station
« on: December 15, 2015, 09:54:57 am »
Good morning, this may qualify for the silliest question of the week, How , once these astronauts have completed their stint on the International Space Station, how do they return to earth?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
Re: International Space Station
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 10:43:51 am »
The top part of the rocket docks to the station and then is used for the next team to leave. Hence they have to wait for replacements to arrive with a new pod before the outgoing team can leave..

Louise Gaunt

• Joined May 2011
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 11:40:53 am »
Not wanting to sound too churlish, our first "official " astronaut etc, but in light of the recent climate change conference, can we continue to use soooo much fossil fuel to send a few people up into space to do exactly what? Just how much ground breaking research has come out of the space station? :sofa:

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 12:44:35 pm »
You don't understand Louise climate change only affects the minions it doesn't apply to big business who make squillions out of building these things

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 04:22:07 pm »

I hate climate change but I love technology  ???  Silly me  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 04:24:15 pm »
Some.of the most important data collected to date concerning climate change has been gathered from?  Yep you guessed it the ISS.  So I guess the answer is yes it's worth it.

The Woodsiders

• Joined Aug 2011
  • Near Horley in Surrey
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 05:29:03 pm »
Thanks Verdifish for your reply, did not realise it would lead to a Climate Change discussion.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2015, 05:32:15 pm »
You don't understand Louise climate change only affects the minions it doesn't apply to big business who make squillions out of building these things
Off topic i know but it frustrates me that news is constantly talking about climate change, but these channels (bbc?) send people halfway round the world to show us some monkeys, building, sealife etc, don't know why local companies can't do the filming and then film talked over in english? or do we really need to see researcher patting a wall or a sea-lions head.
Sorry, couldn't help it.
and just cross posted but I'll post anyway :-)

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2015, 06:54:02 pm »
Climate change !!! It's happened before and it'll happen again. Are we to blame ??? Not as much as we are lead to believe..

Sea level rise  !!  looking back over the millions of years this little planet of ours has been here the current ocean levels are really quite low . and yes they will rise and then they will get low again . Again our fault ?? Again, not as much as we are lead to believe.

If you go back a couple of hundred thousand years before man was knocking about the sea levels were such that only 1 third of the current land mass was above sea level ,no one was polluting the atmosphere with big V 8 land rovers  and big jets so why did this all happen . ? Our planet is cyclical and Go's through these cycles regardless of what we are pumping into the atmosphere. I do think we are speeding it up but I don't believe in all the hype and I don't think there is a damn thing any of these minuscule changes the world's leaders insist must happen, will make any difference .

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2015, 06:58:07 pm »
We have 17 Small-Leaved Limes on the farm, which are estimated to be around 1200 years old.  They would have germinated when the Romans were here but no longer germinate in the wild as the temperature is too cold.  So what were the Romans doing to cause global warming ....?

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2015, 07:03:14 pm »
We have 17 Small-Leaved Limes on the farm, which are estimated to be around 1200 years old.  They would have germinated when the Romans were here but no longer germinate in the wild as the temperature is too cold.  So what were the Romans doing to cause global warming ....?

I rest my case ma lord !!!

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2015, 07:51:29 pm »
Can the UK afford this trip ?

Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2015, 07:57:46 pm »
It being funded by private companies so don't  worry ukplc  will still have  enough in the kitty for Xmas .!!!

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2015, 09:37:21 pm »
It being funded by private companies so don't  worry ukplc  will still have  enough in the kitty for Xmas .!!!

And these private companies won't get any handouts or tax concessions? Hmmmmm.

verdifish

• Joined Jan 2013
  • banffshire
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2015, 10:17:03 pm »
No different to the plenty of other companies in this country that dodge tax or get huge tax breaks. But the ISS does actually do the world a favour and we all and I mean All benefit from research done up there.  Next time you buy and electrical device it will be cheaper and better / mire capable because of research and testingndone on alloysbused in micro chips on the ISS. This is just one of a myriad of  good ISS does.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS